Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Tool rest shape

In addition to the buffing supplies I asked about a week or so ago,
another item has been added to my wish list. I have a Jet 12-36 and
it serves my current needs admirably. However I would like to change
the tool post and rest. Any opinions (boy, there's a question asking
for it!) about the shape of the tool rest? Round? Flat? What works for
those of you that have had both? Pros and cons of both? Thanks for
the info.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kevin" wrote in message
ups.com...
In addition to the buffing supplies I asked about a week or so ago,
another item has been added to my wish list. I have a Jet 12-36 and
it serves my current needs admirably. However I would like to change
the tool post and rest. Any opinions (boy, there's a question asking
for it!) about the shape of the tool rest? Round? Flat? What works for
those of you that have had both? Pros and cons of both? Thanks for
the info.

The traditional shape which leans into the work is the one which gives you
closest support. Probably why it's the one that's survived the test of
time. I really like the contour of my Nova 3000 rest, because it allows me
to snuggle up close above center on convex cuts and below on concave.
Sticks out far enough to clear the banjo base, too!

With the old Delta, which was not flat on top, but did lean in, I ground my
tools to allow me to take the best cut with the shaft flat on the rest.
Reground for the "new" lathe now.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin wrote:
In addition to the buffing supplies I asked about a week or so ago,
another item has been added to my wish list. I have a Jet 12-36 and
it serves my current needs admirably. However I would like to change
the tool post and rest. Any opinions (boy, there's a question asking
for it!) about the shape of the tool rest? Round? Flat? What works for
those of you that have had both? Pros and cons of both? Thanks for
the info.

I have all three types, leaning toward the work, vertical and round.
The round type always moves the fulcrum further from the work. For
some purposes this is ok, for some it makes a difference. On the
whole, I like the leaning type better. All of my smaller ones are
vertical and have had no problem with them.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

There is no time like the pleasant.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:18:04 -0000, Kevin wrote:

In addition to the buffing supplies I asked about a week or so ago,
another item has been added to my wish list. I have a Jet 12-36 and
it serves my current needs admirably. However I would like to change
the tool post and rest. Any opinions (boy, there's a question asking
for it!) about the shape of the tool rest? Round? Flat? What works for
those of you that have had both? Pros and cons of both? Thanks for
the info.

Honestly, I've used both, and there isn't really that much difference.
The only thing I'd suggest is that flat toolrests (and by "flat", I'm
assuming you mean the standard sort that come with most lathes and not
a square bar) are usually cast iron, and round ones tend to be steel.
If you hit a cast iron toolrest hard enough with a spinning hunk of
wood (say you're pushing it in before the blank is completely round
and a corner hits it) it'll break and likely be useless. A steel one
will be more likely to bend, and you've got a chance at bending it
back.

Other than that, they're both fine.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:18:04 -0000, Kevin wrote:

In addition to the buffing supplies I asked about a week or so ago,
another item has been added to my wish list. I have a Jet 12-36 and
it serves my current needs admirably. However I would like to change
the tool post and rest. Any opinions (boy, there's a question asking
for it!) about the shape of the tool rest? Round? Flat? What works for
those of you that have had both? Pros and cons of both? Thanks for
the info.

Great info from the group.. gotta add my 2 cents, though..

I turn 5 or 6 days a week and have several types of rest.. flat top, round rod,
etc...

The flat top ones work well for me in scraper type cuts but I'm not really as
comfortable with them with gouges as with the traditional beveled rests that
come with the lathes..
My lathe came with a 12" one and I've added a 6" and 4" also... (4" is mostly
for pens or close work)
Jet wanted way too much for them and I ended up buying the Delta rests on
Amazon..
The Delta posts were about an inch too long for the Jet and had to be cut
shorter.. Very easy, a few minutes with a hacksaw..

As George said, there must be a reason that this style has been the standard for
so long..

I used a gift certificate to buy one of the "modular" sets, with posts for both
the mini and 1442, but they're a PITA to change and the only one I really use is
the box scraper rest..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 07:13:25 -0400, "Tom Nie" wrote:

On my mini 1014 I went to a 9" assymetric (3"-6") round steel and it made a
huge difference in accessibility.

TomNie

You mean that it's easier to bend over the lathe now, Tom?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mac,

No. What I was referring to is the frequent interference of the banjo as you
begin to get near max diameter on bowls. The 6" side reaches over the ways
with the banjo out of the way much better.

As far as round goes, just seemed smoother to use with gouges.

TomNie

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 07:13:25 -0400, "Tom Nie" wrote:

On my mini 1014 I went to a 9" assymetric (3"-6") round steel and it made
huge difference in accessibility.

TomNie

You mean that it's easier to bend over the lathe now, Tom?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:04:10 -0400, "Tom Nie" wrote:

Mac,

No. What I was referring to is the frequent interference of the banjo as you
begin to get near max diameter on bowls. The 6" side reaches over the ways
with the banjo out of the way much better.

As far as round goes, just seemed smoother to use with gouges.

TomNie

Yeah, I knew that, Tom...
I was just being a smart ass...

I have an old "French curve" rest that I use on larger bowls..

Tool Rest Jerry - OHIO Woodturning 10 May 4th 07 08:01 PM
how to make tool rest Tom & Mary Young Woodturning 2 July 26th 05 03:55 PM
Tool Rest tightening Keith Young Woodturning 11 June 22nd 05 02:26 PM
How to make a tool rest? BigDaddy Woodturning 10 May 6th 05 02:34 PM
height of tool rest moggy Woodturning 7 November 23rd 03 05:18 PM