Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Tool rest shape

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:18:04 -0000, Kevin wrote:

In addition to the buffing supplies I asked about a week or so ago,
another item has been added to my wish list. I have a Jet 12-36 and
it serves my current needs admirably. However I would like to change
the tool post and rest. Any opinions (boy, there's a question asking
for it!) about the shape of the tool rest? Round? Flat? What works for
those of you that have had both? Pros and cons of both? Thanks for
the info.

Honestly, I've used both, and there isn't really that much difference.
The only thing I'd suggest is that flat toolrests (and by "flat", I'm
assuming you mean the standard sort that come with most lathes and not
a square bar) are usually cast iron, and round ones tend to be steel.
If you hit a cast iron toolrest hard enough with a spinning hunk of
wood (say you're pushing it in before the blank is completely round
and a corner hits it) it'll break and likely be useless. A steel one
will be more likely to bend, and you've got a chance at bending it
back.

Other than that, they're both fine.