Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Tool rest shape

"Kevin" wrote in message
ups.com...
In addition to the buffing supplies I asked about a week or so ago,
another item has been added to my wish list. I have a Jet 12-36 and
it serves my current needs admirably. However I would like to change
the tool post and rest. Any opinions (boy, there's a question asking
for it!) about the shape of the tool rest? Round? Flat? What works for
those of you that have had both? Pros and cons of both? Thanks for
the info.

The traditional shape which leans into the work is the one which gives you
closest support. Probably why it's the one that's survived the test of
time. I really like the contour of my Nova 3000 rest, because it allows me
to snuggle up close above center on convex cuts and below on concave.
Sticks out far enough to clear the banjo base, too!

With the old Delta, which was not flat on top, but did lean in, I ground my
tools to allow me to take the best cut with the shaft flat on the rest.
Reground for the "new" lathe now.