Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TWW TWW is offline

Default templates

Richard Raffan wrote a book called 'Turned Bowl Design'. I got a
used copy from Amazon. I assume the book copyrighted in 1987 is
out of print by now.

The reason I am posting this is the book talks about using templates
as guides to doing bowls. I just did 6 rough bowls using a template
made from cardboard. I drew a picture of the bowl shape I wanted and
cut it out. The negative of the bowl (Raffan's term) is the template.
He also says be sure to turn off the lathe before touching the
template to the bowl you are trying to create.

Perhaps the real experts can make all their bowls look alike but it
appears templates can be a real help to the rest of us. I have seen
pictures or videos where people drew on bowls logs with crayons but
have never seen any source besides the book where templates were
mentioned.

Has anyone else seen any mention of templates?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Aug 13, 4:55 pm, TWW wrote:
Richard Raffan wrote a book called 'Turned Bowl Design'. I got a
used copy from Amazon. I assume the book copyrighted in 1987 is
out of print by now.

The reason I am posting this is the book talks about using templates

I have never used them. If i tried to, then the piece of wood that I
had selected would not want to be turned that way, due to defects,
bark inclusions, or just plain orneryness. Look at the shapes in the
book, then try to duplicate it in wood, and modify as needed. If it
isn't perfect, don't worry about it. If I have ever turned two bowls
that were the same, it was an accident.
robo hippy

as guides to doing bowls. I just did 6 rough bowls using a template
made from cardboard. I drew a picture of the bowl shape I wanted and
cut it out. The negative of the bowl (Raffan's term) is the template.
He also says be sure to turn off the lathe before touching the
template to the bowl you are trying to create.

Perhaps the real experts can make all their bowls look alike but it
appears templates can be a real help to the rest of us. I have seen
pictures or videos where people drew on bowls logs with crayons but
have never seen any source besides the book where templates were
mentioned.

Has anyone else seen any mention of templates?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

TWW

See my earlier post re a CAD program. Trying to match to the template
instead of going with the flow is excellent training. But I've found you
can't reduce turning to exact numbers on curves. You have to develop a feel
for the curve and the tool's contact otherwise you end up with a bunch of
hiccups along the curve and a whole new design when finishing time comes.

Print the image, cut it out, place it over black construction paper, then
set it behind your work for reference.

See CharlieB's "Got in the zone again" post and the link.

TomNie

"TWW" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

templates were fairly common among the older turners who turned duplicates
all the time. Spindle turners tend to use them more than bowl turners.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
TWW

See my earlier post re a CAD program. Trying to match to the template
instead of going with the flow is excellent training. But I've found you
can't reduce turning to exact numbers on curves. You have to develop a
feel for the curve and the tool's contact otherwise you end up with a
bunch of hiccups along the curve and a whole new design when finishing
time comes.

Print the image, cut it out, place it over black construction paper, then
set it behind your work for reference.

See CharlieB's "Got in the zone again" post and the link.

TomNie

oups.com...

templates Eddie Woodworking 11 August 28th 06 03:29 PM
$3.95 web hosting +155 web templates [email protected] Metalworking 0 April 22nd 06 01:55 AM
Door templates CNT Woodworking 2 July 13th 05 07:43 PM
construction templates Dan Shulman Home Repair 3 January 9th 05 04:29 AM
FS:Rockler Jig It Templates [email protected] Woodworking 0 January 3rd 05 11:11 PM