Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default SPALTED Wood {Maple ?} . . . Who wants some?

{Here is a copy of a message I just put up on the 'rec.woodworking' NG. I
really don't want to just trash this stuff.}

People -

It's been some time since I've 'tuned in'. So I apologize in advance for any
procedural errors.

Anyhow, I have something to offer . . . I remember a good bit of discussion
of the value of and desire for 'Spalted' wood. Yesterday I was finally able
to take down a dead tree. I've been trying to get someone to do it for
several years. I thought it would be hollow, but it wasn't. The upper trunk
& limbs were so rotted {?} that they were like 'punk' or Balsa !!.

The lower trunk is very interesting. The took it down in about 3-foot
'chunks' - per my instructions. When they were cutting those into more
manageable pieces, with ants all over the place, I was able to take a closer
look.

a} The wood was solid and absolutely dry. It had been dead for some years
and sort of 'Air Dried on the stump'. The chainsaw residue wasn't 'sawdust',
but looked like 'cut Spaghetti' !! From the shape of the leaves I've raked .
.. . I'm guessing Maple.

b} The surface, where the bark had fallen off, was 'speckled' with 'worm'
{ant ?}holes.

and c} The ends showed a distinct 'spalted' pattern !!! When I looked closer
it was even on the surface of the pieces.

The chunks are spread along the side of the 'shop' . . . I've sprayed them
to get rid of the ants. Also the entire area to kill the weeds. {The biggest
reason for the 'project' is to put an 'attached shed' in place to store
sheet goods}

There has got to be 500 pounds, or more, of the stuff. Before Joanne chucks
it {she ABSOLUTELY WON'T let me take up any more of HER space, or 'feed the
ants', or 'draw termites'}, or I use it for the shop stove, I'd like to see
it used for something of beauty & value. There are some really BIG chunks.
I'd be glad to take & send pictures to anyone interested.

Regards & Thanks,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
{in the Philly suburbs . . . 215 Area Code, and 19038 ZIP code}

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

generous offer Ron. Sorry I am so far away and have too much on hand, not
that that would stop me getting more :-)

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

.
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Ron

Like Darrell says, very generous, but......

I think you should get in touch with the local turner group/s, as long
distance transporting is not economical, and one would want to examine
the wood before even considering to take it on. Just my 2 cents here.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jul 13, 11:42 am, "Ron Magen" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:
[...]

In Philadelphia there is a woodturning and or woodworking gallery,
workshop, teaching facility that would know of or where to get in
contact with local wood turning people.
Michael

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:42:44 GMT, "Ron Magen"
wrote:

a} The wood was solid and absolutely dry. It had been dead for some years
and sort of 'Air Dried on the stump'. The chainsaw residue wasn't 'sawdust',
but looked like 'cut Spaghetti' !! From the shape of the leaves I've raked .
. . I'm guessing Maple.

b} The surface, where the bark had fallen off, was 'speckled' with 'worm'
{ant ?}holes.

and c} The ends showed a distinct 'spalted' pattern !!! When I looked closer
it was even on the surface of the pieces.

A few questions, based on my collecting spalted maple from the woods
in the past.

Does the solid wood have two different colors, (not including the
spalting) where the darker stuff seems noticably softer?

How deep do the worm holes go- or can't you tell from the pieces?

Do the annual rings appear to have separated at all?

If you do want to get rid of it, and are willing to take a couple of
pictures, I'd be happy to consider taking some of it on, if you're
willing to ship a hunk or two of it. The big thing I'd be looking for
is that it does not have rotted areas or severe cracking- there's
plenty of that all over, but good spalted maple is a beautiful thing,
and much less common.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

NO 'separation'.

Everything seems SOLID - the 'punky' chunks went through the chipper.

A light 'creamy' color throughout, except for the 'spalt lines'.

The 'worm holes' go where they go . . . I can see them on the surface, and
internally where the trunk has been cut into quarters.

How about I send you a couple of digital images and you make up your own
mind.

I don't mind sending it anywhere, provided you pay the freight.

I've seen this stuff offered, on commercial sites, for $10 a 'slab' {14x5x2}
.. . . what do you think is a fair price ??

Regards,
Ron

"Prometheus" wrote in message
SNIP
A few questions, based on my collecting spalted maple from the woods
in the past.

Does the solid wood have two different colors, (not including the
spalting) where the darker stuff seems noticably softer?

How deep do the worm holes go- or can't you tell from the pieces?

Do the annual rings appear to have separated at all?

If you do want to get rid of it, and are willing to take a couple of
pictures, I'd be happy to consider taking some of it on, if you're
willing to ship a hunk or two of it. The big thing I'd be looking for
is that it does not have rotted areas or severe cracking- there's
plenty of that all over, but good spalted maple is a beautiful thing,
and much less common.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:45:01 GMT, "Ron Magen"
wrote:

NO 'separation'.

Everything seems SOLID - the 'punky' chunks went through the chipper.

A light 'creamy' color throughout, except for the 'spalt lines'.

The 'worm holes' go where they go . . . I can see them on the surface, and
internally where the trunk has been cut into quarters.

How about I send you a couple of digital images and you make up your own
mind.

I don't mind sending it anywhere, provided you pay the freight.

I've seen this stuff offered, on commercial sites, for $10 a 'slab' {14x5x2}
. . . what do you think is a fair price ??

Sorry to take so long getting back to you, I've been putting in a lot
of OT at work-

How much it's worth really depends on what it is, and who is buying
it. I recently bought 3 pieces of curly black walnut on eBay from a
commercial place that is 10 x 10 x 4 for $10 a piece. To tell you the
truth, I don't think I would have paid that for green wood, but this
was kiln dried and crack free. *But* it was nothing really
spectacular, either. Sometimes rare figure or unique coloring
overcomes other factors, so it's hard to say. The other thing the
commerical guys do that is pretty neat is some of them stabilize the
blanks with a kind of resin that makes them almost like a plastic.
Nice, because it keeps them from cracking or warping, but I'm not
entirely sure how it's done. I've bought knife scales with that
treatment for almost embarrassing prices- but they were exotic
two-tone burls with amazing figure.

Send me the pics at Prometheusatcharter.net, and I'm sure we can
come up with a mutually agreeable price.

SPALTED wood {Maple ?} - who wants some? Ron Magen Woodworking 3 July 13th 07 04:31 PM
Spalted Maple Finishing henry Woodworking 18 May 28th 06 01:15 PM
Spalted Maple Jeff Woodworking 7 September 25th 05 04:03 PM
spalted maple Doug Woodworking 4 March 23rd 05 08:12 PM
spalted maple Bill Badland Woodturning 6 December 22nd 03 03:49 AM