Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default SPALTED Wood {Maple ?} . . . Who wants some?

NO 'separation'.

Everything seems SOLID - the 'punky' chunks went through the chipper.

A light 'creamy' color throughout, except for the 'spalt lines'.

The 'worm holes' go where they go . . . I can see them on the surface, and
internally where the trunk has been cut into quarters.

How about I send you a couple of digital images and you make up your own
mind.

I don't mind sending it anywhere, provided you pay the freight.

I've seen this stuff offered, on commercial sites, for $10 a 'slab' {14x5x2}
.. . . what do you think is a fair price ??

Regards,
Ron

"Prometheus" wrote in message
SNIP
A few questions, based on my collecting spalted maple from the woods
in the past.

Does the solid wood have two different colors, (not including the
spalting) where the darker stuff seems noticably softer?

How deep do the worm holes go- or can't you tell from the pieces?

Do the annual rings appear to have separated at all?

If you do want to get rid of it, and are willing to take a couple of
pictures, I'd be happy to consider taking some of it on, if you're
willing to ship a hunk or two of it. The big thing I'd be looking for
is that it does not have rotted areas or severe cracking- there's
plenty of that all over, but good spalted maple is a beautiful thing,
and much less common.