Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SPALTED wood {Maple ?} - who wants some?

People -
It's been some time since I've 'tuned in'. So I apologize in advance for any
procedural errors.

Anyhow, I have something to offer . . . I remember a good bit of discussion
of the value of and desire for 'Spalted' wood. Yesterday I was finally able
to take down a dead tree. I've been trying to get someone to do it for
several years. I thought it would be hollow, but it wasn't. The upper trunk
& limbs were so rotted {?} that they were like 'punk' or Balsa !!.

The lower trunk is very interesting. The took it down in about 3-foot
'chunks' - per my instructions. When they were cutting those into more
manageable pieces, with ants all over the place, I was able to take a closer
look.

a} The wood was solid and absolutely dry. It had been dead for some years
and sort of 'Air Dried on the stump'. The chainsaw residue wasn't 'sawdust',
but looked like 'cut Spaghetti' !! From the shape of the leaves I've raked .
.. . I'm guessing Maple.

b} The surface, where the bark had fallen off, was 'speckled' with 'worm'
{ant ?}holes.

and c} The ends showed a distinct 'spalted' pattern !!! When I looked closer
it was even on the surface of the pieces.

The chunks are spread along the side of the 'shop' . . . I've sprayed them
to get rid of the ants. Also the entire area to kill the weeds. {The biggest
reason for the 'project' is to put an 'attached shed' in place to store
sheet goods}

There has got to be 500 pounds, or more, of the stuff. Before Joanne chucks
it {she ABSOLUTELY WON'T let me take up any more of HER space, or 'feed the
ants', or 'draw termites'}, or I use it for the shop stove, I'd like to see
it used for something of beauty & value. There are some really BIG chunks.
I'd be glad to take & send pictures to anyone interested.

Regards & Thanks,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
{in the Philly suburbs . . . 215 Area Code, and 19038 ZIP code}

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 12, 9:30 am, "Ron Magen" wrote:
[...]

I am a turner in San Jose, CA. I am always looking for just one more
piece cut into. Nova Lathe w/ Delta 14" Bandsaw. We could talk terms.
Again, just looking for one not very big piecs.

Had a California Live Oak Burl with rot, spalting, stains. It made for
some very interesting bowls. Still some around here somewhere...

Good to hear tree stories, this from an old logger (wasn't turning
then).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Good t hear there's some other old loggers out there, i'm one myself.
sadly iv'e known a quite a few that didn't have a chance to get old. we
cut millions of feet of elm when the europeon bark beetle came through
and killed all the elm back in the 70's and early 80's
ross
www.highislandexport.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

jessess,

I would have thought the first 'answers' would have been local . . . not
from the 'other Coast' !!

How much do you want - I have circular, 10in table, and 14-in band saws. Not
to mention a 'Swedish' cross-cut saw. So cutting some into 'not very big'
pieces shouldn't present any problem.

Regards,
Ron

"jessess" wrote in message
I am a turner in San Jose, CA. I am always looking for just one more
piece cut into. Nova Lathe w/ Delta 14" Bandsaw. We could talk terms.
Again, just looking for one not very big piecs.

On Jul 12, 9:30 am, "Ron Magen" wrote:

SNIP
. . I'm guessing Maple.

c} The ends showed a distinct 'spalted' pattern !!! When I looked closer it
was even on the surface of the pieces.
{in the Philly suburbs . . . 215 Area Code, and 19038 ZIP code}

Spalted Maple Finishing henry Woodworking 18 May 28th 06 01:15 PM
Spalted Maple Jeff Woodworking 7 September 25th 05 04:03 PM
spalted maple Doug Woodworking 4 March 23rd 05 08:12 PM
Spalted Maple Veneer John Emmons Woodworking 5 December 17th 04 05:25 PM
spalted maple Bill Badland Woodturning 6 December 22nd 03 03:49 AM