Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default delta rockwell parts needed

just picked up an old lathe model no. 46-111 i think ser # GD 8661.
the threaded end of the head stock spindle is split. i can use a chuck
on it just fine however the morse taper being split scares me a
little. anyone know where to get a new spindle for this? OWWM has
changed the site and i cant find anything there now. may as well get
new bearings while i am at it huh?

thanks

skeez
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

skeez wrote:
just picked up an old lathe model no. 46-111 i think ser # GD 8661.
the threaded end of the head stock spindle is split. i can use a chuck
on it just fine however the morse taper being split scares me a
little. anyone know where to get a new spindle for this? OWWM has
changed the site and i cant find anything there now. may as well get
new bearings while i am at it huh?

I think you should be able to get bearings at a local bearing
distributor. Take the old ones with you and they can match them.

With the split head stock spindle, why not try threading two nuts on it
with a lock washer between them. The nuts should stay in place because
of the lock washer and they should keep the shaft from splitting any
further. Certainly is a lot cheaper and easier than replacing the spindle.

Harry
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 17:32:31 -0400, Harry Pye
wrote:

skeez wrote:
just picked up an old lathe model no. 46-111 i think ser # GD 8661.
the threaded end of the head stock spindle is split. i can use a chuck
on it just fine however the morse taper being split scares me a
little. anyone know where to get a new spindle for this? OWWM has
changed the site and i cant find anything there now. may as well get
new bearings while i am at it huh?

I think you should be able to get bearings at a local bearing
distributor. Take the old ones with you and they can match them.

With the split head stock spindle, why not try threading two nuts on it
with a lock washer between them. The nuts should stay in place because
of the lock washer and they should keep the shaft from splitting any
further. Certainly is a lot cheaper and easier than replacing the spindle.

Harry

i had not thought of that but i should work. replacing doesnt look to
be difficult but finding a new spindle might be rough! :-] I would
still like to replace it though IF I can find one.

skeez
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

skeez wrote:
just picked up an old lathe model no. 46-111 i think ser # GD 8661.
the threaded end of the head stock spindle is split. i can use a chuck
on it just fine however the morse taper being split scares me a
little. anyone know where to get a new spindle for this? OWWM has
changed the site and i cant find anything there now. may as well get
new bearings while i am at it huh?

thanks

skeez

Try Ace Tool Repair. For the 46-111 lathe see:

http://www.acetoolrepair.com/DeltaHtml/WL/WL2A.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Try Ace Tool Repair. For the 46-111 lathe see:

http://www.acetoolrepair.com/DeltaHtml/WL/WL2A.htm

--
Jack Novak

You know, every once and a while I think no one is reading this group
anymore. Then a gem like that one comes along.

Way to go Jack!

Robert