Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
skeez skeez is offline

Default delta rockwell parts needed

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 17:32:31 -0400, Harry Pye
wrote:

skeez wrote:
just picked up an old lathe model no. 46-111 i think ser # GD 8661.
the threaded end of the head stock spindle is split. i can use a chuck
on it just fine however the morse taper being split scares me a
little. anyone know where to get a new spindle for this? OWWM has
changed the site and i cant find anything there now. may as well get
new bearings while i am at it huh?

I think you should be able to get bearings at a local bearing
distributor. Take the old ones with you and they can match them.

With the split head stock spindle, why not try threading two nuts on it
with a lock washer between them. The nuts should stay in place because
of the lock washer and they should keep the shaft from splitting any
further. Certainly is a lot cheaper and easier than replacing the spindle.

Harry

i had not thought of that but i should work. replacing doesnt look to
be difficult but finding a new spindle might be rough! :-] I would
still like to replace it though IF I can find one.

skeez