Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Termite tool

Anyone have luck with this tool? I got one but it doesn't seem to cut well
in green wood. Any suggestions?

Woody

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Woody

I have one and it works OK.
But don't forget it is for endgrain wood, doesn't work well on
sidegrain.
I have a link here to a site that has a good writeup on it.
http://www.hdv.net/
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jul 2, 9:09 pm, "woodman" wrote:
Anyone have luck with this tool? I got one but it doesn't seem to cut well
in green wood. Any suggestions?

Woody

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"woodman" wrote in message
Anyone have luck with this tool? I got one but it doesn't seem to cut
well in green wood. Any suggestions?

Are you referring to the tendency to pack with its own shavings? Can be a
problem with the smaller loops that the larger can help. It's a gouge at 90
degrees to the shaft, so the technique you use with a gouge is the one that
gives best results. The handle is elsewhere, which is handy.

Cross-grain demands a lot of pressure to maintain the depth of cut. Ring
tools, or the hook tools under discussion, can get enough metal under the
wood to hold themselves, but the termite is just too small to be effective.
The tutorial Leo referenced has either a misleading camera angle or a
technique I don't favor, that of cutting above centerline inside a shape.
Cutting below helps keep air above the tool instead of advancing, and
possibly catching, wood.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 01:09:08 GMT, "woodman" wrote:

Anyone have luck with this tool? I got one but it doesn't seem to cut well
in green wood. Any suggestions?

Woody

IMHO, it's a tool that you have to not only read the instructions (gasp) but
experiment with...

An easy beginning for a vase, etc. is to drill a pilot hole to the approximate
depth you want, and widen it with the termite... mush easier than using the ring
to bore the hole..
I think that the scariest part of using the termite is at the middle of the
"hole", where you almost have to touch the "up" side a bit and the pilot hole
eliminates that hassle...

The instructions regarding ring positioning are clever, the "if you see it,
you're in trouble, if your belly button does, you're cool" is pretty accurate,
but I don't think ( as I remember the instructions) that they address riding the
bevel of the ring...

You don't want the handle straight out from the opening you're cutting, you want
it pulled quite a bit towards your "turning muscle" and gently work the handle
out towards the lathe bed a bit as you make your cut...

If you play with angle, tilt, etc. a bit you'll find it making nice shavings and
working well... it you cut too aggressively, it will pack the ring...
Before I became a follower of George and the "peel not poke" religion, I kept a
1/4" dowel with a pencil sharpener point near the lathe top clear the shavings
out of the ring..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Yes, I've used it for quite a while. Basically start with the ring on or
above center (9:00 to 10o positionm ith the ring at about 60 deg off
vertiocal. You get the tool to bite more or less by rotating it, rotation
clockwise, so that the axis through the ring moves toward vertical
increases aggressiveness of the cut, ccw decreases. I find that the cutting
path starts at the center, on the cventer line, then arcs upward as you
move out (dropping the handle) and finally back toward centerline as you
reach the perimeter. The tool will cut from a solid center, but works
better if you pre-bore the center of the work with a fostner bit.

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 01:09:08 GMT, "woodman" wrote:

Anyone have luck with this tool? I got one but it doesn't seem to cut well
in green wood. Any suggestions?

Woody

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I bought the bit but not the handle. I made my own handle out of a larger
diameter and longer piece of steel than that of the manufacturers. I also
increased substantially the length of the wood handle . I find that I have
good control over the tool and all but the most stupid catches (you know the
kind I mean) are a none issue.

"woodman" wrote in message
Anyone have luck with this tool? I got one but it doesn't seem to cut
well in green wood. Any suggestions?

Woody

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"woodman" wrote in message
Anyone have luck with this tool? I got one but it doesn't seem to cut
well in green wood. Any suggestions?

Woody

Hi Tom,
I see you got your termite finished. Wouldn't mind seeing it.

Ralph in QB

Termite Tool William Hall Woodturning 6 February 11th 07 01:34 PM
Termite turn tool opinion wanted Pete Woodturning 10 January 13th 07 01:06 PM
Drywood termite...Help! [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 13th 06 03:42 AM
Termite hollowing Tool Steven trauthwein Woodturning 16 September 7th 06 03:42 PM
Will I have a termite problem ? George Pagliarulo Home Repair 6 September 6th 04 06:47 PM