Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Termite tool

"woodman" wrote in message
news:Ukhii.3001$fw2.89@trnddc04...
Anyone have luck with this tool? I got one but it doesn't seem to cut
well in green wood. Any suggestions?

Are you referring to the tendency to pack with its own shavings? Can be a
problem with the smaller loops that the larger can help. It's a gouge at 90
degrees to the shaft, so the technique you use with a gouge is the one that
gives best results. The handle is elsewhere, which is handy.

Cross-grain demands a lot of pressure to maintain the depth of cut. Ring
tools, or the hook tools under discussion, can get enough metal under the
wood to hold themselves, but the termite is just too small to be effective.
The tutorial Leo referenced has either a misleading camera angle or a
technique I don't favor, that of cutting above centerline inside a shape.
Cutting below helps keep air above the tool instead of advancing, and
possibly catching, wood.