Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywood termite...Help!

I live in Tucson, AZ. Last week I decided to replace the dated
wallpaper in the kitchen with something more cheerful. Removing the
wallpaper I discovered large areas of (dry) mold, indicating that the
moisture must have been there a while back. But the disturbing
discovery is the presence of drywood termite (black pellets sit in the
bottom plus live termites -- no wings) that literaly did away with the
base board and the studs in a corner area of about 2'x4'. I looked up
the web site managed b the University of Arizona, and it said that the
only control is the removal of the damaged wood with treated pine. I
did that, but my fear is that some termites are still "hiding" deep
inside some of the hard to get-to corner studs. Any advice as to
additonal treatments of the infected area before I re-sheetrock?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in Tucson, AZ. Last week I decided to replace the dated
wallpaper in the kitchen with something more cheerful. Removing the
wallpaper I discovered large areas of (dry) mold, indicating that the
moisture must have been there a while back. But the disturbing
discovery is the presence of drywood termite (black pellets sit in the
bottom plus live termites -- no wings) that literaly did away with the
base board and the studs in a corner area of about 2'x4'. I looked up
the web site managed b the University of Arizona, and it said that the
only control is the removal of the damaged wood with treated pine. I
did that, but my fear is that some termites are still "hiding" deep
inside some of the hard to get-to corner studs. Any advice as to
additonal treatments of the infected area before I re-sheetrock?
Thanks.

Buy some Tibor, mix as directed and soak the all of the wood in the area.
Let it dry and then close up the walls. There will probably still be some
live ones left but they won't live for long.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

On 9 Dec 2006 06:20:28 -0800, wrote:

I live in Tucson, AZ. Last week I decided to replace the dated
wallpaper in the kitchen with something more cheerful. Removing the
wallpaper I discovered large areas of (dry) mold, indicating that the
moisture must have been there a while back. But the disturbing
discovery is the presence of drywood termite (black pellets sit in the
bottom plus live termites -- no wings) that literaly did away with the
base board and the studs in a corner area of about 2'x4'. I looked up
the web site managed b the University of Arizona, and it said that the
only control is the removal of the damaged wood with treated pine. I
did that, but my fear is that some termites are still "hiding" deep
inside some of the hard to get-to corner studs. Any advice as to
additonal treatments of the infected area before I re-sheetrock?
Thanks.

An inspection by a reputable company may be in order...stay away from
the Nationals that will be sending out a SALESMAN for the inspection,
look for a local, established company. You need to make sure they are
drywoods and not possibly a subterranean species that by coincidence
is in the area of droppings of another type of insect. There are
different type of controls some more extreme than others, but they
usually can be handled easy enough.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 20:29:44 GMT, "Sam" wrote:

Buy some Tibor, mix as directed and soak the all of the wood in the area.
Let it dry and then close up the walls. There will probably still be some
live ones left but they won't live for long.

Thinking you may mean Timbor, which can be an aide, but with the
repelling of borates can cause more problem if the colony is not
directly hit.