Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Threaded chuck to MT2 adapter?

While thinking about buying a drill chuck w/ adapter for my tailstock, it
occurred to me that I have an almost brand-new cordless drill, sans battery,
available to me for free. The chuck seems fairly robust, but is a threaded
chuck. Does anyone make an adapter to fit those to MT2?

steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

ENCO is a good source for these kinds of adapters, but a Chinese drill
chuck with a jacob's taper is fairly inexpensive, so why bother using a too
small, too weak chuck from your cordless drill?
"Steve Wolfe" wrote in message

While thinking about buying a drill chuck w/ adapter for my tailstock, it
occurred to me that I have an almost brand-new cordless drill, sans
battery, available to me for free. The chuck seems fairly robust, but is
a threaded chuck. Does anyone make an adapter to fit those to MT2?

steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

While thinking about buying a drill chuck w/ adapter for my tailstock,
it occurred to me that I have an almost brand-new cordless drill, sans
battery, available to me for free. The chuck seems fairly robust, but is
a threaded chuck. Does anyone make an adapter to fit those to MT2?

ENCO is a good source for these kinds of adapters, but a Chinese drill
chuck with a jacob's taper is fairly inexpensive, so why bother using a
too small, too weak chuck from your cordless drill?

Because the chuck is actually large enough and strong enough for anything I
would use it for, it's free, and I already have it. Unless the adapter was
prohibitively expensive, I'd rather just use something I've already got.

But, the more I look around, the more it seems that either availability or
cost will probably keep me from using the chuck. Ah, well. You can't win
them all.

steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Steve,

Go the real easy way. HF has what you want for $10. It's a great 1/2"
Jacobs chuck with a #2MT.

Dan

"Steve Wolfe" wrote in message

While thinking about buying a drill chuck w/ adapter for my tailstock, it
occurred to me that I have an almost brand-new cordless drill, sans
battery, available to me for free. The chuck seems fairly robust, but is
a threaded chuck. Does anyone make an adapter to fit those to MT2?

steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Go the real easy way. HF has what you want for $10. It's a great 1/2"
Jacobs chuck with a #2MT.

I saw that, and figured that for $10 it couldn't be any better than what I
had - but since what I have won't work, I'm going to give that a shot. It's
good to hear that other people have had good luck with it.

steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Steve

Steve I would recommend you get the threaded MT mandrel, so you can
use the chuck in your headstock with a drawbar to keep the MT from
coming loose and scoring the headstock taper.
It is more $$ but a lot less than having to get your spindle repaired
or replaced.

Here's a link, but other places will have them also.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...330,49238&ap=1

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jun 28, 11:30 pm, "Steve Wolfe" wrote:
Go the real easy way. HF has what you want for $10. It's a great 1/2"
Jacobs chuck with a #2MT.

I saw that, and figured that for $10 it couldn't be any better than what I
had - but since what I have won't work, I'm going to give that a shot. It's
good to hear that other people have had good luck with it.

steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Steve,
It's not good to disagree with the Leo's. I lose every time, but I have
had good luck with the H.F. Jacobs knockoffs. The taper is soft and easy
to thread for an allthread draw bar. Only difference (for woodturning
use) from my more expensive true Jacobs chucks is that one H.F. Jacob's
taper slipped. That was fixed by letting it rust along with myself.

You'll use them in many ways, I have one on a washing machine motor for
buffing pads and sanding discs. Another for holding shop made centers
and depth drills. At $10.00@, buy two and butter one. Sorry, I'm
confusing chucks with biscuits!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Hex to standard chuck adapter? Boondoggle Home Repair 2 December 5th 06 06:13 PM
Chuck adapter machining Boris Beizer Metalworking 28 January 27th 06 02:27 AM
FA: SuperNova chuck insert adapter 3/4 x 16 tpi RH Doug Miller Woodturning 0 January 10th 05 04:13 PM
Chuck adapter Millers Woodturning 20 January 8th 05 06:57 AM
Threaded copper adapter Alexander Galkin Home Repair 5 July 20th 03 12:39 PM