Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default wood for a muddle

Anyone know what kind of wood to use, or not to use, to make a muddle?

A muddle seems to be small stick with a roundish end used to crush
leaves(?)/spices(?) in a glass as part of making a mojito.

bernie feinerman

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi bernie, Also known as a muddler. Here's one site. The prices are low,
but they should be easy to make. I'd use hard maple same as I use to
turn pestles,

http//www.drinkboy.com/BarTools/muddler.html

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" writes:

Favorite [mojito] recipe:

5 mint leaves
4 teaspoons sugar
Mash with the muddler until purverized
1/2 lime
shot of light rum
ice
5 oz club soda
tall straw
relax

You forgot the decorative sprig.

Dang! smack head!
And another correction - I use half a 12 oz bottle of club soda. That's 6 oz.
So a 12 oz bottle and one lime is used for two drinks.

It's my wife's favorite cocktail.
My daughter planted some mint in the garden many years ago.
Now we have mint everywhere.
Our goal: make enough mojito's to keep the mint under control.

It's been a tough job. But we haven't given up yet!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Maxwell Lol" wrote in message
"George" writes:

Favorite [mojito] recipe:

5 mint leaves
4 teaspoons sugar
Mash with the muddler until purverized
1/2 lime
shot of light rum
ice
5 oz club soda
tall straw
relax

You forgot the decorative sprig.

Dang! smack head!
And another correction - I use half a 12 oz bottle of club soda. That's 6
oz.
So a 12 oz bottle and one lime is used for two drinks.

It's my wife's favorite cocktail.
My daughter planted some mint in the garden many years ago.
Now we have mint everywhere.
Our goal: make enough mojito's to keep the mint under control.

It's been a tough job. But we haven't given up yet!

A story we told on my eldest to embarrass him in front of female companions
before he married. He came running in the back door (age of four) and
proudly announced to his mom and I that "the weeds growing by the back porch
smell like green gum!"

The drink is not bad, IIRC, even with the only rum in Cuba - Havana Club.
Cuban beer, well, that's a different story.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Bernie,

For this task, I would opt for a very neutral tasting, close grained wood,
like Hard Maple. There are many timbers that could be used, but you want to
make sure that the wood does not transfer any flavour into your drink when
you are preparing it. Good luck and Cheers!

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

On 6/17/07 11:49 AM, in article
, "bernie feinerman"
wrote:

Anyone know what kind of wood to use, or not to use, to make a muddle?

A muddle seems to be small stick with a roundish end used to crush
leaves(?)/spices(?) in a glass as part of making a mojito.

bernie feinerman

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks for the links, advice, and recipe
bernie

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jun 17, 11:49 am, "bernie feinerman" wrote:
Anyone know what kind of wood to use, or not to use, to make a muddle?

A muddle seems to be small stick with a roundish end used to crush
leaves(?)/spices(?) in a glass as part of making a mojito.

bernie feinerman

Sounds like a version of a morter and pistal

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote: Sounds like a version of a morter and pistal
Or an artilleryman wearing a sidearm.