Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Where do you put all this stuff?

As a wood worker, I pride myself on inovative ways to make my own
storage/organizers for my tools and accessories. But, in reality, all
that I use really are a form of something someone else has already
made and posted online or in a magazine or in one of the 300 books I
seem to have.

Now that I have made the plunge into turning, I find I have a lot of
much smaller items thast seem to opose all kinds of new problems. For
example:

- Bushings, bushings, bushings and then some more bushings
- Special sized drill bits for pens, etc
- Pen mandrels
- Pen Parts
- 14 gouges and chisels (with more to come, I am sure)
- Chucks
- Centers

And whatever I don't yet have that will fall into these catagories.

Any pictures, ideas, drawings, vauge foggy images of how you old
timers (in experience I mean) are doing this?

I have spent a LOT of time on Darrel Fetlmates site, great help to me,
but even he doesn't have much in the way of storage. Maybe turners are
not as obsessed with storage and organization, but I don't think that
is the case.

I did find a nice set of plans for a tool rack that attached to the
end of th4e lathe bed on a movable swing arm that looks interesting. I
have a min so I would probably do it off of my bench but it would
server the same purpose. I also though about someting similar to a
Router Bit drawer for the bushings, but instead of holes for the
shafts, I could go pegs for the bushing sets?

What do you think?

Thanks again, Neil Larson

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Neillarson wrote:

I did find a nice set of plans for a tool rack that attached to the
end of th4e lathe bed on a movable swing arm that looks interesting.

I have a canvas tool roll that sits on the lathe when it's not being used.
For turning, I unroll it on the tablesaw which is just behind the lathe.

And yes, I have to move it and cover the saw when turning green wood :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Actually Neil, I have a rolling cart with some of the tools hanging, racks
behind the work bench for stuff I rarely use, and lot of drawers of stuff
that I only need to find once in a blue moon. The rest of the bits and
pieces fall all over the place. Some day I will get a new page up on it.
---
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS
http://aroundthewoods.com
http://roundopinions.blogspot.com

"Neillarson" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

[...]

I have a couple drawers under the top of my lathe stand which have dividers
to store my sanding disks, small parts like jaws and ends for the
tailcenter, wrenches and such. The knockout bars, T handle and spanner for
the chucks and similar are attached to the headstock by magnets, close at
hand. Since the lathe is against the wall, I have my magnet bars to hold
the tools on the rare occasions when I clean up or I don't just drop them
into the clutter to ambush me when I'm fishing for the one I want.

The chucks and rests are on a pegboard which I cover with my splatterguard
when roughing green. The more you work with the lathe, the more you'll
develop a sense of what you want immediately at hand, what can live a bit
farther away, and what you can ignore, save on rare occasions. For me,
that's scrapers.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Although I make a lot of my storage containers, I frequently keep stuff like
you have listed in plastic fishing tackle boxes that I usually buy from Bass
Pro Shop. They have several versions of the same basic box that's about 10 X
15 X 4 inches with fixed and variable sized compartments. I usually put all
of the small pieces of a given task (like Turning) in one or two of these
and then take the one that I need to the task when I'm doing it. Since I
have many of these similar sized boxes I can easily store them together
without wasted space. Magic Marker labels on the top and ends makes the one
that I want easy to pick out. They run about $5 each so they are quite
economical and their thin walls waste almost no space.

--
Charley

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
Neillarson wrote:

I did find a nice set of plans for a tool rack that attached to the
end of th4e lathe bed on a movable swing arm that looks interesting.

I have a canvas tool roll that sits on the lathe when it's not being used.
For turning, I unroll it on the tablesaw which is just behind the lathe.

And yes, I have to move it and cover the saw when turning green wood :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Neillarson writes:
- Bushings, bushings, bushings and then some more bushings

Shelves along the wall.

- Special sized drill bits for pens, etc

Table next to drill press

- Pen mandrels

Shelves along the wall.

- Pen Parts

Shelves along the wall.

- 14 gouges and chisels (with more to come, I am sure)

Common ones in tray on lathe ways. Next most common ones on shelf
below lathe. Others in giant plastic bucket.

- Chucks

Table next to lathe.

- Centers

Table next to lathe.

And whatever I don't yet have that will fall into these catagories.

Table next to lathe.

Any pictures, ideas, drawings, vauge foggy images of how you old
timers (in experience I mean) are doing this?

http://www.delorie.com/wood/tips/shop-shelves.html
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gouges and chisels for turning

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...Turning11.html

Chucks, jaws, allen wrench, awl, drive centers, tail centers etc.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...heBench10.html
charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 14 May 2007 07:27:24 -0700, Neillarson
wrote:

[...]

Ohhhh, you're not going to like this.

I just set them all on a table next to the lathe.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article . com,
Neillarson wrote:

....?

What do you think?

The gouges on the lathe, everything else, I hit a sale on this:

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Harbor Freight's magnetized steel dishes are handy for small items,
chuck keys and jaws, etc. Might as well use em, everything eventually
gets magnetized or siliconized in my shop anyway.The best thing that I
usually neglect to do is to return "all this stuff" to the same resting
place each time I use it.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article hpB2i.14512$V75.6666@edtnps89,
"Darrell Feltmate" wrote:

I hear you Arch. "A place for everything and nothing in its place."

So the obvious solution if you do non-round woodwork is the Shaker
apothecary cabinet, carefully labeled, so that you know what is not in
the little drawer that should be there, and you can rail at that guy in
the mirror who never puts things away ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote:

I hear you Arch. "A place for everything and nothing in its place."

So the obvious solution if you do non-round woodwork is the Shaker
apothecary cabinet, carefully labeled, so that you know what is not in
the little drawer that should be there, and you can rail at that guy in
the mirror who never puts things away ;-)

Well as a retiered Navy Chief, I pride myself on my organizational
skills. OfF course that has nothing to do with putting sttuff away
after their use. I have great cabinets and storage in my shop, hanging
spots for all my jigs, every thing has a spot of it's very own. though
for some reason, that seems to be on my table saw/router table
extension.

I started 3 projetcs on Sunday afternoon, Darrell's sharpening jig
(got the blocks cut and finished, lol), a storage system for bushings
and dedicated drill bits (I think they will be the first thing i : a.
lose, b. mix up, c. lose, or d. misplace) and a tool rack/storage
system for the chucks, centers, gouges, chisels, etc. I came up with a
good rack, but I am uncomfortable with them always in the open with
the points out/up as I am a A#1 clutz. So I will probably make a
plexiglass cover for them when I am not using them. As far as this
goes, I did have another idea, store them along the wall using the PVC
pipe storage rack idea that someone posted, and make a small rack at
the lathe to hold 4 or 5 tools. That might be better than all of them
stored at the lathe. What do you think?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article . com,
Neillarson wrote:

I came up with a
good rack, but I am uncomfortable with them always in the open with
the points out/up as I am a A#1 clutz. So I will probably make a
plexiglass cover for them when I am not using them. As far as this
goes, I did have another idea, store them along the wall using the PVC
pipe storage rack idea that someone posted, and make a small rack at
the lathe to hold 4 or 5 tools. That might be better than all of them
stored at the lathe. What do you think?

Having seen this system at a NH WW Guild Turning thing I went to a few
years back, and having used some of the other methods (ie, point down
under the lathe, pile of tools on the lathe bed, etc) I finally got
around to building a Point-Up (Yet Safe) Rack for Gouges.

The basic structure is an angled panel that's longer than the longest
gouge. That means that while the points are up and visible, they are not
"sticking up" where you'd cut yourself on them, as the back-board sticks
up further than they do. A cleat on the bottom holds the butt of the
gouge handles, and battens keep them separated and on the panel. Think
"silverware tray for gouges" and then tip up at an angle. 60-70 degrees
seems to be plenty for the gouges to stay put - I built at 45 due to
available scrap, and then altered the table mount supports for extra
angle when that seemed to be way too much angle.

This could be either a 4-5 working tools of the moment design, or
everything. I prefer everything. Mine is an un-pretty collection of
construction scraps.

I'll see if I can get off my rear and post a picture in ABPW.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I put the heavy stuff in a wheeled tool box I made, and the most often
used wrenches for removing chucks from the lathe sit on a large log
just under the lathe. Two or three wrenches sit inside the recess of
the tailstock for adjusting the head and tailstock, some faceplates
sit on shelves or peg board, long handled tools on a large conical
lazy susan, and the steady rests and a couple other super big things
sit on the floor under the lazy susan.