Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Where do you put all this stuff?

In article . com,
Neillarson wrote:

I came up with a
good rack, but I am uncomfortable with them always in the open with
the points out/up as I am a A#1 clutz. So I will probably make a
plexiglass cover for them when I am not using them. As far as this
goes, I did have another idea, store them along the wall using the PVC
pipe storage rack idea that someone posted, and make a small rack at
the lathe to hold 4 or 5 tools. That might be better than all of them
stored at the lathe. What do you think?

Having seen this system at a NH WW Guild Turning thing I went to a few
years back, and having used some of the other methods (ie, point down
under the lathe, pile of tools on the lathe bed, etc) I finally got
around to building a Point-Up (Yet Safe) Rack for Gouges.

The basic structure is an angled panel that's longer than the longest
gouge. That means that while the points are up and visible, they are not
"sticking up" where you'd cut yourself on them, as the back-board sticks
up further than they do. A cleat on the bottom holds the butt of the
gouge handles, and battens keep them separated and on the panel. Think
"silverware tray for gouges" and then tip up at an angle. 60-70 degrees
seems to be plenty for the gouges to stay put - I built at 45 due to
available scrap, and then altered the table mount supports for extra
angle when that seemed to be way too much angle.

This could be either a 4-5 working tools of the moment design, or
everything. I prefer everything. Mine is an un-pretty collection of
construction scraps.

I'll see if I can get off my rear and post a picture in ABPW.