Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Tools for sale

Lottsa tools for sale here and lathes to fill your pockets, but all in
Ontario
http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/c...ex.php?catid=2

Another question I have is what is the difference between reeves
variable speed drives and Electronic variable spped drive. I know one
starts at a prescribe speed and the electronic starts at 0. Is one
better than the other.
Are they both worth about the same in money value. Is 0 start better
for turning . I s 450 to fast for first speed as for outta round green
blanks. Or just outta round Any other information on drives

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Moray" wrote: (clip)Another question I have is what is the difference
between reeves variable speed drives and Electronic variable spped drive.
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Apples and oranges. Reeves is a mechanical drive that relies on changing
pulley diameters. They work okay, but also have their problems: prone to
slip, prone to stick. If you get a catch that stalls the spindle, you are
very likely to get a broken belt soon after that, due to the heating damage
of a slipping motor pulley.

Your point about the minimum starting speed is important. It is hard to
design a Reeves drive that goes slow enough.

Electronic variable speed comes in more than one variety. It can be done by
clipping the AC sine wave, to reduce the power and thus lower the speed, by
varying the voltage, or by varying the frequency delivered to a three phase
motor.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Moray" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lottsa tools for sale here and lathes to fill your pockets, but all in
Ontario
http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/c...ex.php?catid=2

Another question I have is what is the difference between reeves
variable speed drives and Electronic variable spped drive. I know one
starts at a prescribe speed and the electronic starts at 0. Is one
better than the other.

I own a Reeves drive lathe and I like it, but if I had deeper pockets I
would own and EVS lathe. Is there a difference in value? Hell yes. Although
I'm sure someone can find an example to the contrary, EVS lathes (new) start
around $1600, about twice what i paid for my Jet 1442 and it just goes up
from there.

-Steve

FOR SALE-- 6 major tools Bob Schmall Woodworking 0 February 19th 07 03:01 PM
Tools For Sale Bjarn Woodworking 4 December 16th 05 08:58 AM
tools for sale rick pixley Woodturning 0 January 22nd 05 09:43 PM