Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Links to DIY wax & shellac finishes?

DAGS, but too many hits to follow up. Anyone got a quick, shiny,
edible, on-the-lathe finish?

Daydreaming about Shellac, Beeswax, Carnauba, maybe Walnut oil; in
Ethanol and real Turpentine. Nothing modern. Want something old-school.

Tips? Recipes? Links?

luck,
-j
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Don't know about the luck, but products and other info are here,

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/index....=2&cat=1%2c190

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Mar 27, 12:35 pm, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
DAGS, but too many hits to follow up. Anyone got a quick, shiny,
edible, on-the-lathe finish?

Daydreaming about Shellac, Beeswax, Carnauba, maybe Walnut oil; in
Ethanol and real Turpentine. Nothing modern. Want something old-school.

Tips? Recipes? Links?

luck,
-j

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

It depends upon the size of the item you are finishing. Shellac,
Beeswax and Walnut oil will not really give you a shiny finish, unless
you apply carnuba wax and buff. If you are turning small items, like
bottle stoppers, etc. What I call the Bonnie Klein finish is good. It
consists of 1/3 Shellac, 1/3 Alcohol, and 1/3 boiled linseed oil.
Apply with a rag, let soak in a bit, then buff with the same rag and
in the area of the rag where you applied the solution to the wood.
Finally, buff with a dry rag. I used the commercial Shellac that is
already mixed. This was my standard for bottle stoppers for several
years.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

On Mar 27, 8:35 am, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
DAGS, but too many hits to follow up. Anyone got a quick, shiny,
edible, on-the-lathe finish?

Daydreaming about Shellac, Beeswax, Carnauba, maybe Walnut oil; in
Ethanol and real Turpentine. Nothing modern. Want something old-school.

Tips? Recipes? Links?

luck,
-j

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Fred Holder" wrote in message
oups.com...
It depends upon the size of the item you are finishing. Shellac,
Beeswax and Walnut oil will not really give you a shiny finish, unless
you apply carnuba wax and buff. If you are turning small items, like
bottle stoppers, etc. What I call the Bonnie Klein finish is good. It
consists of 1/3 Shellac, 1/3 Alcohol, and 1/3 boiled linseed oil.
Apply with a rag, let soak in a bit, then buff with the same rag and
in the area of the rag where you applied the solution to the wood.
Finally, buff with a dry rag. I used the commercial Shellac that is
already mixed. This was my standard for bottle stoppers for several
years.

Shellac will give you a _very_ shiny finish if you use a modified French
polish technique versus a friction polish technique. Standard wax can be
applied to dull the surface afterward if you desire. Technique is an old
one, just eliminate the pumice. I like to use a light oil like grape or
olive myself. Mineral is too thick, linseed too amber.

Use the 1# cut as your sealer/fuzzer, sand with 400 to level and defuzz,
then another to get a good base, sand as needed. Then get your muslin and
oil and rub up while you're watching TV or something. Builds fast enough,
as long as you remember to keep the rubber moving, and not so thick as to
dissolve your base. Search "French Polish."

Shellac is vulnerable to alcohol and alkali, so consider where it's going to
be.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Fred Holder wrote:

What I call the Bonnie Klein finish is good. It
consists of 1/3 Shellac, 1/3 Alcohol, and 1/3 boiled linseed oil.

Are you talking about flakes or premixed shellac? If premixed, what pound cut
did you start with? In either case, does it make a difference whether the
shellac is dewaxed or not?

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article .com,
Fred Holder wrote:

It depends upon the size of the item you are finishing.

I'm doing bowls and plates. Was hoping for something I could make that
would be cheap and as easy to apply as a wax, but tougher and shiny.
Customers like shiny. Me, I like burnished wood, just as it is.

Shellac,
Beeswax and Walnut oil will not really give you a shiny finish, unless
you apply carnuba wax and buff. If you are turning small items, like
bottle stoppers, etc. What I call the Bonnie Klein finish is good. It
consists of 1/3 Shellac, 1/3 Alcohol, and 1/3 boiled linseed oil.
Apply with a rag, let soak in a bit, then buff with the same rag and
in the area of the rag where you applied the solution to the wood.
Finally, buff with a dry rag. I used the commercial Shellac that is
already mixed. This was my standard for bottle stoppers for several
years.

I'll keep it in mind, and add it to my recipe list. Thanks.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

On Mar 27, 8:35 am, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
DAGS, but too many hits to follow up. Anyone got a quick, shiny,
edible, on-the-lathe finish?

Daydreaming about Shellac, Beeswax, Carnauba, maybe Walnut oil; in
Ethanol and real Turpentine. Nothing modern. Want something old-school.

Tips? Recipes? Links?

luck,
-j

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 28, 11:20 am, Larry Blanchard wrote:
Fred Holder wrote:
What I call the Bonnie Klein finish is good. It
consists of 1/3 Shellac, 1/3 Alcohol, and 1/3 boiled linseed oil.

Are you talking about flakes or premixed shellac? If premixed, what pound cut
did you start with? In either case, does it make a difference whether the
shellac is dewaxed or not?

--
It's turtles, all the way down

In this case it is probably premixed. I used to use this formula a
lot also, and still use a variant on small pieces.

The premixed I use in thsi formula is the Zinzer Bullseye blond, and
from the store it is a 3# cut.

FYI, I think their sanding sealer is a 1 - 1 1/2# cut of shellac.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 29, 9:53 am, Larry Blanchard wrote:

And a while back they came out with a French polish in a can - great stuff but
the market apparently wasn't there. They dropped it. Sigh.

I never even saw that stuff. It seemed that by all the time all the
buzz hit fever peak, it was gone. I was sure interested in that
stuff, but apparently not enough others were.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

It doesn't take long to just apply shellac.

I use a 1 1/2# cut (Zinzers out of the can, cut 50%) on bowls. It takes
from 2 minutes to an hour to dry (longer as the surface seals). I put on 4
double coats, sand with 400 grit and about two more, until I get the surface
sheen I want. Apply with a paper shop towel doubled over several times. I
like to let the finish "cure" for a couple of days to a week, then use gray
synthetic steel wool, and wax. The wax is applied lightly, and I spin the
work pretty hard to really melt it in. Burnish with a brown paper bag and
old tee shirt, and I've got a nice finish. I can wax it the same day I
finish it, but I think I get better results with a wait.

Old Guy

"JoanD'arcRoast" wrote in message
. ..