Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JoanD'arcRoast JoanD'arcRoast is offline

Default Links to DIY wax & shellac finishes?

In article .com,
Fred Holder wrote:

It depends upon the size of the item you are finishing.

I'm doing bowls and plates. Was hoping for something I could make that
would be cheap and as easy to apply as a wax, but tougher and shiny.
Customers like shiny. Me, I like burnished wood, just as it is.

Shellac,
Beeswax and Walnut oil will not really give you a shiny finish, unless
you apply carnuba wax and buff. If you are turning small items, like
bottle stoppers, etc. What I call the Bonnie Klein finish is good. It
consists of 1/3 Shellac, 1/3 Alcohol, and 1/3 boiled linseed oil.
Apply with a rag, let soak in a bit, then buff with the same rag and
in the area of the rag where you applied the solution to the wood.
Finally, buff with a dry rag. I used the commercial Shellac that is
already mixed. This was my standard for bottle stoppers for several
years.

I'll keep it in mind, and add it to my recipe list. Thanks.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

On Mar 27, 8:35 am, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
DAGS, but too many hits to follow up. Anyone got a quick, shiny,
edible, on-the-lathe finish?

Daydreaming about Shellac, Beeswax, Carnauba, maybe Walnut oil; in
Ethanol and real Turpentine. Nothing modern. Want something old-school.

Tips? Recipes? Links?

luck,
-j