Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dave

Default wax and shellac mixture

I saw on the DIY lathe show yesterday where the guy had a small jar with a
mixture of wax and shellac that he dipped a rag into and then applied it to
a bowl while it was spinning. It made a beautiful finish and looked like a
jewel. I searched through my catalogs and couldn't find this product. Do any
of you know where I can buy this stuff?
Thanks for your help.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Jo-Anne & Edward Tabachek

That sounds like "Shellawax" cream from U-Beaut. Made in Australia;
available in Canada and the USA. I see that Packardwoodworks carries it.
Here is the Web site:
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/

They make many products for the woodturner, like Shellawax liquid (french
polish sort of thing) and EEE-Ultrashine.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Matt Heffron

It was almost certainly "Shellawax"
Craft Supplies USA, and others, carry it.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=217-0300

Matt Heffron

"Dave" wrote in message news:7JTAf.725467$_o.5748@attbi_s71...
I saw on the DIY lathe show yesterday where the guy had a small jar with a
mixture of wax and shellac that he dipped a rag into and then applied it to
a bowl while it was spinning. It made a beautiful finish and looked like a
jewel. I searched through my catalogs and couldn't find this product. Do any
of you know where I can buy this stuff?
Thanks for your help.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Dave
You will find the Hut Crystal Coat and Myland's Turner's Polish are a
shellac/wax misture. Both are good. I think that most turner suppliers carry
at least one of them. try woodchuckers in Markham, Ontario. John usually has
Myland's in stock.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:31:31 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

I saw on the DIY lathe show yesterday where the guy had a small jar with a
mixture of wax and shellac that he dipped a rag into and then applied it to
a bowl while it was spinning.

Shellac naturally contains wax. Generally for cabinetry you'll want to
avoid this, so what many people (myself included) do with their bulk
shellac is to buy a waxy grade, then let the bottles stand for a weak or
two until there's a thick cloudy layer in the bottom. By pouring off the
top carefully you get dewaxed shellac.

The waxy remainder is still usable shellac, with extra wax in it. I use
this when I want an easily sandable sealer on something where I don't
need a perfect visual finish (it seems to be the acres of plywood
backing on mirror frames these days). I don't know if this would work
as a friction polish for turning, but it would certainly be worth
experimenting.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Puskar

I like to use a mixture of 1/3 shellac (3 lb cut you get in stores) 1/3
boiled linseed oil and 1/3 alcohol (ethanol) Works great as a friction
polish. I mix it myself. I also use the stuff referenced in the previous
posts.

Tom in Howell, NJ

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

The waxy remainder is still usable shellac, with extra wax in it. I use
this when I want an easily sandable sealer on something where I don't
need a perfect visual finish (it seems to be the acres of plywood
backing on mirror frames these days). I don't know if this would work
as a friction polish for turning, but it would certainly be worth
experimenting.

Pretty much the same stuff, formerly used to keep British and Indian army
boots parade-ground bright, so the experimentation's already done. Shellac
adheres to the surface of the wood, wax is the lubricant for polishing.

Finishing on the lathe can be a very messy business, and with larger
diameter items friction polishes present a problem because of the much
higher rate of speed at the edge versus the center of the piece, as well as
the sheer mess possible if you're a bit too generous of application. You
can get the same result off the lathe, though it's not quite instant
gratification. Off the lathe you would use dewaxed shellac, so as to get
more resin on the surface quickly, and a non-curing oil, or even wax, should
you desire, for a rubbing lubricant. An example in the thread entitled
Shellac for Mac.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:31:31 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

I saw on the DIY lathe show yesterday where the guy had a small jar with a
mixture of wax and shellac that he dipped a rag into and then applied it to
a bowl while it was spinning. It made a beautiful finish and looked like a
jewel. I searched through my catalogs and couldn't find this product. Do any
of you know where I can buy this stuff?
Thanks for your help.

Friction polish.. several brands and type on the market that I was addicted to
before Chuck got me to invest in the Bealle system...

Friction polish provides instant gratification because it dries right away and
looks great if your surface is prepared well...
The down side is that it isn't very durable and shows every little bump and rub
later..

I still use this one on stuff that I turn for my wife.. she loves the luster and
depth:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/mypol.html

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing