Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default wax and shellac mixture

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

The waxy remainder is still usable shellac, with extra wax in it. I use
this when I want an easily sandable sealer on something where I don't
need a perfect visual finish (it seems to be the acres of plywood
backing on mirror frames these days). I don't know if this would work
as a friction polish for turning, but it would certainly be worth
experimenting.

Pretty much the same stuff, formerly used to keep British and Indian army
boots parade-ground bright, so the experimentation's already done. Shellac
adheres to the surface of the wood, wax is the lubricant for polishing.

Finishing on the lathe can be a very messy business, and with larger
diameter items friction polishes present a problem because of the much
higher rate of speed at the edge versus the center of the piece, as well as
the sheer mess possible if you're a bit too generous of application. You
can get the same result off the lathe, though it's not quite instant
gratification. Off the lathe you would use dewaxed shellac, so as to get
more resin on the surface quickly, and a non-curing oil, or even wax, should
you desire, for a rubbing lubricant. An example in the thread entitled
Shellac for Mac.