Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

Default saying's to live life by

Well, it finally happened. I've read about "spectatcular" catches on
the lathe, but had yet to see one. That was until two evenings ago. I
had just near finished a beautiful 12" bowl of spalted maple and
decided to make one final finish pass on it before sanding. A few
seconds later, the gouge grabbed and the bowl basically exploded and
flew all over the shop. Spectacular? Maybe, disheartening, definitely.
I walked away without cleaning up my mess, disgusted.
This got me to wandering, what sayings do woodworkers use to overcome
or explain an unfortunate event such as this? As I walked to the house
I was thinking, "don't cry over spalted maple" or "don't count your
bowls before their turned". I know I've heard my grand dad say things
that only fellow workers of wood understood and I wandered if anyone
else out there had similar things to say.

JD

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

JD wrote:
[...]

A catch in time saves a lot of sanding.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Anybody can win, unless there happens
to be a second entry.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Old guy wrote:
Oh Sh!t.

Old Guy

I'm more familiar with this one. Or other simular four letter ones.

Ralph

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

On Feb 22, 9:04 am, Ralph Fedorak wrote:
Old guy wrote:
Oh Sh!t.

Old Guy

I'm more familiar with this one. Or other simular four letter ones.

Ralph

Yeah, i think that is something close to what I said (or screamed)
just as the bowl exploded in front of me.

JD

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 22, 8:34 am, "Old guy" wrote:
Actually, my dad used to say,

"Well, that was instructive."

Old Guy

I like that one.

I guess I have been doing production type work so long that it doesn't
overwhelm me. I get really ****ed, and if I am working on something
really special, I am disappointed. The best way to get over the
failed project is to immediately restart it. You will be surprised
how much that helps.

For me, it is childish I know, but I like to take the pieces of
hardwood from a failed project out and use them in my smoker. Some
kind of perverse, childish behavior there, but to get even I burn them
up. The give their remaining existence to season my pork butts and
briskets.

In my own way, it makes me laugh.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

oups.com...
Old guy wrote:
Oh Sh!t.

Old Guy

I'm more familiar with this one. Or other simular four letter ones.

Ralph

Yeah, i think that is something close to what I said (or screamed)
just as the bowl exploded in front of me.

Some days bring success. Others just suck cess....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

SH*T HAPPENS.
Get over it.
Get on with it.
Joy waits
in the next
chunk of wood.

When in doubt
reach for the
80 grit "gouge".

All things come
to he who waits
unless
he dies first
of boredom.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

What goes around comes around.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Well It's my turn

My father inlaw said this to me once and now I live by it.

"You have to pay for an education"

Most of us might think paying for education means school taxes or
college tuition. But for many of us it life experience.
I think back to all my experiences in life even the horrific ones and
they have all taught me something that has made me grow to the person
that I am. If we all think back to all our mistakes I think we can
safely say they have made us better people.

Oh yeah my other saying for a turning mistake. "That's going to buren
real gooooood in the shop wood stove next year"

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"JD" wrote in news:1172148786.587411.197920
@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

[...]

In my case, it's "Count your fingers. Again."

I had a walnut bowl do that to me. My left hand was in bandages for 6
weeks. There's still a scar where the scraper got the base of the
longest finger. Scared me spitless.

It was my fault. I got careless. Never had a flatwork accident of _any_
significance cost me blood in that quantity.

Back in the saddle again, wiser and more careful.

As to your bowl: It's just wood. Until it's done, it's just wood.
Don't count your chickens, etc.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 136...
[...]

That begs the Question
What is the most dangerous bit of machinary in YOUR workshop?
scroll down for my answer.

Back in the saddle again, wiser and more careful.

As to your bowl: It's just wood. Until it's done, it's just wood.
Don't count your chickens, etc.

Patriarch

The machine you use most because we all get complacent with that we use
often and this is especially true when it is just a quick job!

To a person who uses a table saw infrequently they feel it is dangerous and
as such take extra care that same saw to a person who uses it daily it is
just a tool so no extra care and that is when it becomes extra dangerous!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"If it doesn't warm the heart, it can always warm the hearth."
or a variation
"If it doesn't warm my heart, it can still warm my butt."

JD wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"JD" wrote:

[...]

If you didn't get hit or impaled by any of the bits and pieces, you give
thanks to the god or gods of your choice.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Robert wrote: "..... For me, it is childish I know, but I like to take
the pieces of
hardwood from a failed project out and use them in my smoker. Some
kind of perverse, childish behavior there, but to get even I burn them
up. The give their remaining existence to season my pork butts and
briskets.

------------------------------
I also liked "Well that was instructive" the best.

Robert, I sort of do what you do, I get angry at the wood because it
"spoke to me" and I didn't like what it said. I take the failed
project off the lathe right to the bandsaw and slice it like a loaf of
bread cussing at every slice. It does my soul good. : )

Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 22, 7:06 pm, wrote:

I take the failed
project off the lathe right to the bandsaw and slice it like a loaf of bread cussing at every slice. It does my soul good. : )

Ruthwww.torne-lignum.com

LOL!!! I thought I was bad! I love it, Ruth!

Like Charlotte Manson, the thought of you sawing sawing up your
projects into little pieces is great. Might try that in the off bbq
season myself.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Lobby Dosser wrote:

If you didn't get hit or impaled by any of the bits and pieces, you give
thanks to the god or gods of your choice.

I'm with Mr. Lobby Dosser on that one.

I've only had a couple 'explosions' on the lathe so I don't have a
formal strategy for dealing with such things but, so far, here's what
I've noticed that I do:

When things go keflooey. I stand very still for a moment and take inventory.

I try to recall what I was doing a moment ago, while the chuck still had
a bowl in it.

What sounds did the wood give me of impending doom?

Then I reach over and grab another blank.

When I was learning to be a die-maker, my die leader had a very useful
phrase: "VLE"

Which means "That's a Valuable Learning Experience."

Die makers are in school all day, every day. We have lots of VLE's.
Sometimes because we've learned what WILL work, sometimes because we've
learned what WON'T. I've found that this part of 'the hands-on life' has
carried over into my woodworking.

I just shipped about $150 worth of VLE tonight and I am SOOOO GLAD it's
outta here!

Bill

is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000716-1, 02/22/2007
Tested on: 2/23/2007 1:21:50 AM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:34:32 GMT, "Old guy" wrote:

Actually, my dad used to say,

"Well, that was instructive."

Old Guy

Neat.

Being in France, I quote Brassens "Le temps ne fait rien ŕ l'affaire,
quand on est con on est con."

in English, roughly : age makes no difference, once an idiot always an
idiot.

But I don't takemy abuse too personally :-))

only one p in my real address / un seul p dans ma véritable adresse
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

On Feb 22, 2:44 pm, "Not for publication"
wrote:
"Patriarch" wrote in message

. 136...

[...]

You know, thats is absolutly true. Grand dad waves with three fingers
on one hand, thanks to the tablesaw that he had used for the past 40
years to build the homes he built. He also walks with a slight limp in
his right leg from forgetting to use his brain one day and using his
leg as a saw horse to cut a 2X4 to length (he laughs at himself on
this brain fart moment although not at the time of the incidient). We
threatened putting rubber blades on all his tools since both these
accidents occurred within about 2 months of one another. He didn't
like the joke.

JD

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 22 Feb 2007 04:53:06 -0800, "JD" wrote:

Well, it finally happened. I've read about "spectatcular" catches on
the lathe, but had yet to see one. That was until two evenings ago. I
had just near finished a beautiful 12" bowl of spalted maple and
decided to make one final finish pass on it before sanding. A few
seconds later, the gouge grabbed and the bowl basically exploded and
flew all over the shop. Spectacular? Maybe, disheartening, definitely.
I walked away without cleaning up my mess, disgusted.
This got me to wandering, what sayings do woodworkers use to overcome
or explain an unfortunate event such as this? As I walked to the house
I was thinking, "don't cry over spalted maple" or "don't count your
bowls before their turned". I know I've heard my grand dad say things
that only fellow workers of wood understood and I wandered if anyone
else out there had similar things to say.

I know I'm fond of telling myself and others the following:

If you're not willing to f**k up, you're never going to be able to do
*anything*.

Works for me, anyhow. Those who only see the finished work I show
them think I'm terribly good at all sorts of things- but they don't
see my scrap bin! The whole secret to doing anything in life is to
remember that when you get knocked down, you just have to keep getting
back up- the only other alternative is to lay down and die.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 22 Feb 2007 11:02:22 -0800, "burly pete"
wrote:

Well It's my turn

My father inlaw said this to me once and now I live by it.

"You have to pay for an education"

Most of us might think paying for education means school taxes or
college tuition. But for many of us it life experience.
I think back to all my experiences in life even the horrific ones and
they have all taught me something that has made me grow to the person
that I am. If we all think back to all our mistakes I think we can
safely say they have made us better people.

Man oh man, is that a good one.

Consider it stolen!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

a word of advice from mother
from the day you where born, til you ride in a hurse, there's nothing so
bad, that it couldn't be
worse.
ross
www.highislandexport.com