Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

Default saying's to live life by

On Feb 22, 2:44 pm, "Not for publication"
wrote:
"Patriarch" wrote in message

. 136...

"JD" wrote in news:1172148786.587411.197920
@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Well, it finally happened. I've read about "spectatcular" catches on
the lathe, but had yet to see one. That was until two evenings ago. I
had just near finished a beautiful 12" bowl of spalted maple and
decided to make one final finish pass on it before sanding. A few
seconds later, the gouge grabbed and the bowl basically exploded and
flew all over the shop. Spectacular? Maybe, disheartening, definitely.
I walked away without cleaning up my mess, disgusted.
This got me to wandering, what sayings do woodworkers use to overcome
or explain an unfortunate event such as this? As I walked to the house
I was thinking, "don't cry over spalted maple" or "don't count your
bowls before their turned". I know I've heard my grand dad say things
that only fellow workers of wood understood and I wandered if anyone
else out there had similar things to say.

JD

In my case, it's "Count your fingers. Again."

I had a walnut bowl do that to me. My left hand was in bandages for 6
weeks. There's still a scar where the scraper got the base of the
longest finger. Scared me spitless.

It was my fault. I got careless. Never had a flatwork accident of _any_
significance cost me blood in that quantity.

That begs the Question
What is the most dangerous bit of machinary in YOUR workshop?
scroll down for my answer.

Back in the saddle again, wiser and more careful.

As to your bowl: It's just wood. Until it's done, it's just wood.
Don't count your chickens, etc.

Patriarch

The machine you use most because we all get complacent with that we use
often and this is especially true when it is just a quick job!

To a person who uses a table saw infrequently they feel it is dangerous and
as such take extra care that same saw to a person who uses it daily it is
just a tool so no extra care and that is when it becomes extra dangerous!

You know, thats is absolutly true. Grand dad waves with three fingers
on one hand, thanks to the tablesaw that he had used for the past 40
years to build the homes he built. He also walks with a slight limp in
his right leg from forgetting to use his brain one day and using his
leg as a saw horse to cut a 2X4 to length (he laughs at himself on
this brain fart moment although not at the time of the incidient). We
threatened putting rubber blades on all his tools since both these
accidents occurred within about 2 months of one another. He didn't
like the joke.

JD