Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default saying's to live life by

On 22 Feb 2007 04:53:06 -0800, "JD" wrote:

Well, it finally happened. I've read about "spectatcular" catches on
the lathe, but had yet to see one. That was until two evenings ago. I
had just near finished a beautiful 12" bowl of spalted maple and
decided to make one final finish pass on it before sanding. A few
seconds later, the gouge grabbed and the bowl basically exploded and
flew all over the shop. Spectacular? Maybe, disheartening, definitely.
I walked away without cleaning up my mess, disgusted.
This got me to wandering, what sayings do woodworkers use to overcome
or explain an unfortunate event such as this? As I walked to the house
I was thinking, "don't cry over spalted maple" or "don't count your
bowls before their turned". I know I've heard my grand dad say things
that only fellow workers of wood understood and I wandered if anyone
else out there had similar things to say.

I know I'm fond of telling myself and others the following:

If you're not willing to f**k up, you're never going to be able to do
*anything*.

Works for me, anyhow. Those who only see the finished work I show
them think I'm terribly good at all sorts of things- but they don't
see my scrap bin! The whole secret to doing anything in life is to
remember that when you get knocked down, you just have to keep getting
back up- the only other alternative is to lay down and die.