Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default saying's to live life by

Lobby Dosser wrote:

If you didn't get hit or impaled by any of the bits and pieces, you give
thanks to the god or gods of your choice.

I'm with Mr. Lobby Dosser on that one.

I've only had a couple 'explosions' on the lathe so I don't have a
formal strategy for dealing with such things but, so far, here's what
I've noticed that I do:

When things go keflooey. I stand very still for a moment and take inventory.

I try to recall what I was doing a moment ago, while the chuck still had
a bowl in it.

What sounds did the wood give me of impending doom?

Then I reach over and grab another blank.

When I was learning to be a die-maker, my die leader had a very useful
phrase: "VLE"

Which means "That's a Valuable Learning Experience."

Die makers are in school all day, every day. We have lots of VLE's.
Sometimes because we've learned what WILL work, sometimes because we've
learned what WON'T. I've found that this part of 'the hands-on life' has
carried over into my woodworking.

I just shipped about $150 worth of VLE tonight and I am SOOOO GLAD it's
outta here!

Bill

is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000716-1, 02/22/2007
Tested on: 2/23/2007 1:21:50 AM