Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Vacuum chucking on a DVR

I have an adapter for vacuum chucking on my DVR. The thing is
basically a sealed bearing and a shaft which fit into the handwheel.
The included information states that it is to be used with a vacuum
cleaner as a vacuum source. Has anyone rigged one up to use a proper
vacuum pump and what are the specific requirements/alterations to do,
if it can be done?

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article .com,
"Mike R. Courteau" wrote:

I have an adapter for vacuum chucking on my DVR. The thing is
basically a sealed bearing and a shaft which fit into the handwheel.
The included information states that it is to be used with a vacuum
cleaner as a vacuum source. Has anyone rigged one up to use a proper
vacuum pump and what are the specific requirements/alterations to do,
if it can be done?

I haven't. I use a high-lift vacuum. But others have, it has been
discussed on the MSN Nova e-mail group. As I recall, you attach the
vacuum to the shaft, but COVER the holes (most vacuums use air-flow to
cool the motor). I'm fairly certain it's also touched on someplace in
the Teknatool documentation

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The first time I read the subject, I pictured a digital video recorder
spinning on a lathe, thinking... "wow, that's a strong vacuum chuck."
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mike R. Courteau wrote:
I have an adapter for vacuum chucking on my DVR. The thing is
basically a sealed bearing and a shaft which fit into the handwheel.
The included information states that it is to be used with a vacuum
cleaner as a vacuum source. Has anyone rigged one up to use a proper
vacuum pump and what are the specific requirements/alterations to do,
if it can be done?

Thanks

I use a vacuum pump on mine. I epoxied a fitting into the hollow shaft,
filled in the holes on the shaft and screwed a quick-connect male
fitting into the fitting. The vacuum tube ends in a "T". one side with
the female quick-connect fitting and a fine tuning valve on the outer
side. This allows me to bleed in air to adjust the amount of vacuum I
want for the particular item being chucked. It works very well. I only
remove the fitting if I have to knock out a tapered fitting from the
headstock.

BTW, do you have the sheet metal stand? It sucks. Chips cannot fall
through and I have to constantly clean out between the ways. I'm
thinking about making cutouts to allow them to fall through.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Any wire cut to length will be too short.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 16, 3:36 pm, Gerald Ross wrote:
Mike R. Courteau wrote:
[...]

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mike R. Courteau wrote:
[...]

No, I don't have the stand. I'm making my own.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Mike R. Courteau" wrote in message
oups.com...
BTW, do you have the sheet metal stand? It sucks. Chips cannot fall
through and I have to constantly clean out between the ways. I'm
thinking about making cutouts to allow them to fall through.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Any wire cut to length will be too short.

No, I don't have the stand. I'm making my own.

Good. My 3000 sits up on doubled 3/4 plywood pads at the mounting points.
Makes cleaning a _lot_ easier. I tried rigging my dust collection between
the ways, but found out it worked better for me to attach the hood with
magnets where I was generating dust. My hand and the crevice tool handle
underneath.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Ralph,
I don't want to use a vacuum cleaner. They are too noisy. I already
have a pump and fittings so I just want to use those. Gerald says he
has done this successfully so that's the way I'll go.

Hi Bill,
I was in the process of building a system for my old lathe which is
now sold. I've gone through your site before and found it very
helpfull. I'll be checking it out again to make sure I get things
right.

Gerald,
That's exactly what I did for my Craftsman. I also like to slide my
tools down there for convenience at times. The DVR seems to have even
less clearance than the Craftsman so I'll be jacking it up some for
sure. I'm taking my time (somewhat) to build a proper bench that will
be stable, useable, and will not twist the bed of the lathe. My
Craftsman was my first big lathe on which I experimented, if you will,
with bench height, etc. My DVR is the "good" lathe that will hopefully
benefit from what I've learned on the Craftsman.

I think I've got all the information I needed. Thanks to all of you
for your help.