Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Vacuum chucking 3

The instructions I read were unclear to how to attach the through tube
to the faceplate. Since I had epoxied the tube into the outside part
holding the bearing, I decided to use a rubber washer and nut. I found a
conical rubber ballcock connection washer (used on the water supply to a
toilet) and it fit the lamp tube and worked well.

Then I got an attachment that piped the vacuum into the headstock shaft
with no through tube. I found that the same conical washer fit into the
#2 MT protruding about 1/8 inch. So when the faceplate is screwed on it
presses snugly against the rubber washer. With this setup I am getting
the best through vacuum of any setup I've tried. I did have to do a
little adjustment. My particular faceplate barely touched the washer
before bottoming against the shoulder of the shaft. This was fixed by
epoxying a metal washer onto the bottom of the faceplate inside the nut.

Hope this helps some of you who are struggling to do a home brew setup
for vacuum chucking.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.

#2 MT protruding about 1/8 inch. So when the faceplate is screwed on it
presses snugly against the rubber washer. With this setup I am getting
the best through vacuum of any setup I've tried. I did have to do a
little adjustment. My particular faceplate barely touched the washer
before bottoming against the shoulder of the shaft. This was fixed by
epoxying a metal washer onto the bottom of the faceplate inside the nut.

Hope this helps some of you who are struggling to do a home brew setup
for vacuum chucking.

Not sure what the lamp tube is for, is your headstock not hollow?

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

#2 MT protruding about 1/8 inch. So when the faceplate is screwed on it
presses snugly against the rubber washer. With this setup I am getting
the best through vacuum of any setup I've tried. I did have to do a
little adjustment. My particular faceplate barely touched the washer
before bottoming against the shoulder of the shaft. This was fixed by
epoxying a metal washer onto the bottom of the faceplate inside the nut.

Hope this helps some of you who are struggling to do a home brew setup
for vacuum chucking.

Not sure what the lamp tube is for, is your headstock not hollow?

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

I made a wood bearing holder and the tube runs through the headstock to
the chuck. It had to be removable. There are no threads on the outside,
only a handwheel. If I had attached it to the handwheel It would be in
the way of using the knockout bar when using other attachments.

I now have a bearing adapter of metal which is made for the handwheel
and use the hollow headstock to convey the vacuum. It is removable with
only loosening a setscrew.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis said:

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 21:22:34 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:
Hope this helps some of you who are struggling to do a home brew setup
for vacuum chucking.

Not sure what the lamp tube is for, is your headstock not hollow?

Mac

Errrr... the tube wouldn't help much if the headstock weren't hollow.
Leaves no where to put the tube either.

The tube is for retention of the rotary bearing to the spindle, since
most are not threaded for such attachments. As well, a few spindles
are cross drilled, and negate any vacuum.

FWIW

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 16:56:50 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

mac davis wrote:
On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 21:22:34 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

I made a wood bearing holder and the tube runs through the headstock to
the chuck. It had to be removable. There are no threads on the outside,
only a handwheel. If I had attached it to the handwheel It would be in
the way of using the knockout bar when using other attachments.

I now have a bearing adapter of metal which is made for the handwheel
and use the hollow headstock to convey the vacuum. It is removable with
only loosening a setscrew.

Ok.. I see how ya did it...

On the Mini, where I DO use the ram rod, I used a brass fitting that was tapered
and pressed into the bearing and has a big enough throat to allow the rod...
It is a PITA to unscrew the fitting from it to use the rod, but that's a rare
occupance..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:59:30 -0400, Greg wrote:

mac davis said:

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 21:22:34 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:
Hope this helps some of you who are struggling to do a home brew setup
for vacuum chucking.

Not sure what the lamp tube is for, is your headstock not hollow?

Mac

Errrr... the tube wouldn't help much if the headstock weren't hollow.
Leaves no where to put the tube either.

The tube is for retention of the rotary bearing to the spindle, since
most are not threaded for such attachments. As well, a few spindles
are cross drilled, and negate any vacuum.

FWIW

Greg G.

My only experience is with Jet lathes, Greg, that's why I was wondering...

On my mini and 1442, I used corian glued to the handwheel, which seals the
bearing to the spindle so that no tube is needed..
I've also seen the type that connects the vacuum directly to the chuck, so I was
a bit confused.. (senior moment)