Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Vacuum Chucking Tip

After finishing a bowl I mark the center of the bottom while it is still
on the chuck (I use an inside gripping chuck). I found a length of metal
tubing that is the same diameter as the through hole of the headstock
and installed a pencil inside the tubing (using masking tape to make it
fit). I stick this through the headstock until the pencil point touches
the underside of the bowl, then turn the bowl 1 turn by hand, while
holding the tubing. If the pencil is centered it makes a dot, if not it
will be a circle.
To mount the bowl on the vacuum chuck for finishing the bottom, I bring
up the tailstock and hold the bowl against the vacuum chuck with it, the
point of the live center in the dot. As I turn on the pump I crank in
the tailstock so that it remains in contact with the bowl until the
desired vacuum is reached. This achieves a near perfect centering the
first time.

Clear as mud?
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Ambition is a poor excuse for not
having the good sense to be lazy.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Clear as mud?"

Actually this makes a great deal of sense. I just finished making a
doughnut chuck and it's hard to tell when the piece is centered. This
certainly helps.

Thanks Gerald,

Rick

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Instead of using masking tape to make a pencil fit, I turned a piece of wood
to exactly fit the inside of my face plate and drilled the center to fit a
brad. I put the brad in the center, clipped the head off about 1/4" from the
end of the rod and sharpened it.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

wrote in message
ups.com...

"Clear as mud?"

Actually this makes a great deal of sense. I just finished making a
doughnut chuck and it's hard to tell when the piece is centered. This
certainly helps.

Thanks Gerald,

Rick

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Gerald

Yes that's Oneway of doing it, (pun intended) I have the centering pin
build in on my faceplate, and then there's also this Oneway way of
doing it, have a look.
http://www.oneway.on.ca/spindle/live_center.htm

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo