Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Grizzly 642 lathe

Thinking of getting back into turning, Been MANY years....Anyway, this lathe is a 16" swing, 2hp, but not reversable, nor a spindle lock. How important is the reverse when sanding/finishing. I seem to remember it's handy during sanding.
Thanks, Rick
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
Thinking of getting back into turning, Been MANY years....Anyway, this
lathe is a 16" swing, 2hp, but not reversable, nor a spindle lock. How
important is the reverse when sanding/finishing. I seem to remember it's
handy during sanding.
Thanks, Rick

One of those things that people say is so but logically shouldn't be. If
you reverse a circular object, what was up goes down, down goes up. Nice to
set and sand against fuzz in flat work where you can find it and trim the
climbing grain, but really tough to do in lathe work. Think most benefit
other than psychological comes from the fact that extra sanding is done, not
the direction.

Most people power sand larger pieces, so the benefits become even more
vague. Notwithstanding, the next five posts will undoubtably extol the
virtues of reverse.

Best, as always, to final sand with, rather than across the grain. That way
you can stop sanding sooner. That takes stopping the work.

The G0642 looks pretty familiar. Says horse and a half, but that's already
more than required for it, I'm sure. Only weakness I see, other than
suspicion of Grizz castings bred of experience, is the middle-post banjo.
I've really come to like the one on my 3000 set to one side. Which brings
up the question, why not a 1624? One extension and you're there. same
price range.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

OOPS it's a 462