william kossack

Default knocking noise from grizzly lathe

I have a grizzly g8691 lathe.
It seems to work OK but at higher speeds it produces a knocking noise.
I'm going to try and take the cover off this weekend if I get the time
but I'm wondering what the noise could be?

The question is can I fix it? I don't want to deal with grizzly because
the lathe is out of warrenty. My Nova DVR should arrive soon so the
question becomes if I can sell the lathe or just toss it.

william kossack

I don't know if I'd go to as much length to fix it as you mention. I
don't have a buyer as yet but I've sold stuff locally on the net putting
a BO for best offer on the posting and it usually sells. I just don't
like selling or giving something with a
problem that I can't either fix or tell the buyer how to fix.

My space is so constrained that I'm not sure I'd keep the head and motor
for a sanding/buffing station but
I may temperarily use the grizzly stand for my DVR until I can build or
buy a better stand. Then put the grizzly
back together and sell it

Denis Marier wrote:

With the new lathe coming in, the old one is not much of a concern for now.
However, you may already have a buyer for the grizzly as is.
Or you may decide to keep it as a sanding station or else. While the
grizzly is at a stop position I would investigate under the hood. The last
time I had knocking on my first lathe It was caused by a loose set screw on
the Aluminum pulley. I ended up drilling and tapping with an American size
a tad larger. The North American set screw has a better cup end and thread
tolerances. Then after that I replaced the drive belt with an North
American made one which is of a much better quality. Enjoy your new lathe.

william kossack

I still need to look at the lathe maybe this weekend to see what is
wrong with it.

Unfortunately, I think I'm coming down with the crud...wouldn't you know
just in
time to get my DVR. They are also predicting more snow in Denver.

Mark Hopkins wrote:

Reyd was looking for a lathe a while back. If you were going to give it to
someone, why not him? That would be a very noble and very cool thing to
do...grin

william kossack

no but it growled when I tried to open the hood!-)

with the number of people that seem to be interested in this beast I
sure hope the problem is easily fixable

I do have the crud. My wife would not even let me go out and shovel a
couple inches of snow off the driveway
because my cough sounded so bad

Leif Thorvaldson wrote:

I think you're looking to a valve job on it -- perhaps a main bearing. Have
you tried a compression check? *G*

Leif
"william kossack" wrote in message

I have a grizzly g8691 lathe.
It seems to work OK but at higher speeds it produces a knocking noise.
I'm going to try and take the cover off this weekend if I get the time
but I'm wondering what the noise could be?

The question is can I fix it? I don't want to deal with grizzly because
the lathe is out of warrenty. My Nova DVR should arrive soon so the
question becomes if I can sell the lathe or just toss it.

Arch

Hi William, I'm sorry that you are ailing. Try to supress your cough
or not cough very loud. EPA monitors might pick up the melody, raid
your dusty shop and confiscate your new toy. Maybe they can be bribed
with the Grizzly. Take care.
Arch

Fortiter,

william kossack

I finally got a chance to look at the grizzly lathe on Sunday.

It had both a loose belt and pully.

The grizzly lathe is now for sale. It is a good learning lathe. I
learned to turn on it. I learned to sharpen my chisels so I would not
bog down on the grizzly

I turned my second bowl with the NOVA DVR. The DVR is wonderful smooth
and powerful. It's also nice not having to use such a gentle soft touch
with sharp chisels. I was so used to the grizzly I find that I have to
keep telling myself that I can go faster.