Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Philips DVP-642

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:
I've got a Philips DVP-642 DVD player on the bench. I
haven't opened it yet, and this is probably premature, but
the symptoms are simple and I thought I'd ask if anyone has
seen this or has any comments/recommendations for me.

It has a small red LED on the left by the power button. When
that's lit, it means power is off and it's in standby. When
you hit the power button, it should turn off that standby
LED and turn on the display and power up. It's not turning
on reliably. You hit the button and the standby LED turns
off, then after 3-4 seconds, it turns back on. The display
doesn't power up and you can't open the tray. The remote
won't start it either.

If you try this repeatedly, particularly after powering off
and on with the AC plug, you can occasionally get it to
start up, and from then on it runs fine, until you turn it
back to standby or pull the plug.

Anyone want to suggest where to start? Is it likely to be
going through some startup check that fails?

Try replacing C316 on the power supply. It's a 1000uf electrolytic and
is a common problem on this model. Look for any bulging electrolytics
and replace them as well. Hope this helps!