Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default 3 Pages on Making The Nice One

Got it done during The Before Christmas Rush - the nicest turned
lidded box I've done to date. Finally got some time to put together
some pages on how it came to be, including some How To details.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T.../NiceOne1.html

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Great job, Charlie!

I bookmarked your site and found it to be a fantastic reference. Thanks so
much for taking the time to share your experience with the rest of us.

Bob

"charlie b" wrote in message
Got it done during The Before Christmas Rush - the nicest turned
lidded box I've done to date. Finally got some time to put together
some pages on how it came to be, including some How To details.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T.../NiceOne1.html

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bob N wrote:

Great job, Charlie!

Thanks. So have you tried turned lidded boxes yet?

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience
with the rest of us.

I tend to jump around with my woodworking, working with
one type of piece, trying different methods until I find one
that works for me. When I've got it down pretty well I
drop it and go look for something completely different to
make. Problem was that when I'd get back to something
I'd done before I often had forgotten some of the details
of a successful method or procedure. So, while I was
learning how to make - let's say a Blurfle - I'd do Notes
To Myself. Doing them helps me understand a process/
procedure / method better. The first pass at doing
the instructions usually has critical holes in them. As
I follow the instructions I'll see the "holes" and since
the things I'd just learned are still fresh in my mind
they're easy to fill in. After 3 or 4 revisions I've got
a set of step by step instructions for making a
Blurfle. If, or when, I get back to making Blurfles I
don't have to go through the trial - and error - process
again. This frees me up to make entirely NEW mistakes

Once I've got a set of instructions that works for me
it doesn't take much effort to turn them into a few
web pages. Again, I do that for me. I "misplace" things
in the physical world. BUT - if they make it to my
computer and then to the Web, I can't lose them. The
fact that this stuff may be useful to others is just
gravy. I'll add some encouraging words to the instructions
and hopefully get someone to try something they didn't
think they could do.

Now if you go through some of these instructions you
may think to yourself "This guy must think I'm an idiot.
Why else would he include so much detail about things
that are so obvious?" Well, I've found that a lot of the
"basics", the "everybody knows that" common knowledge
is often what's missing in other instructions. I'd rather
have more information than not enough information.
A missing critical step can mean the difference between
success and failure. And, while success leads to success,
failure is often the end of trying.

So - if you use any of my "instructions" - please make
a note of any gaps, ambiguities or stuff that just seems
wrong. Send them along to me and I'll fix things and
get the revisions out on the Web. That way you and I
will benefit - and the next guy / gal as well.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Really nice work, charlie. And while others may have seen a small,
double lidded box, I had not. I have seen nested forms, but again
nothing like you posted. It is great that you took the time to post
illustrated instructions - that is certainly more than I could ever do.

One thing I didn't see that I think would be important... what kind of
wood did you use?. It looks like Cocobolo or something along those
lines, but so many woods look the same on a web page.
Something close grained and hard, I'll wager.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

One thing I didn't see that I think would be important... what kind of
wood did you use?. It looks like Cocobolo or something along those
lines, but so many woods look the same on a web page.
Something close grained and hard, I'll wager.

Robert

Could be cocobolo, but then again it could be either Honduran
or Brazilian rosewood. It looks very much by the chinese
furniture I inherited - which is supposed to be rosewood.
I got this stuff out of one of the "exotics" cut offs bins at
Global Wood Source here in San Jose ("Heart of Silly
Cone Valley"). Turned two lidded boxes out of one chunk
4x4 by maybe a foot long - with sapwood on one corner. I
had some stuff that I used a few years ago that works like
this wood - told that was "kingwood". Common names are
almost useless since they're often local names and some
wood suppliers play fast and loose with what they call the
wood they want to sell you.

Whatever it is, it's fairly dense, dulls edges moderately
fast and the chips smell vaguely like cinnamon. It takes
a really nice polish and people have mistaken them for
polished cabachon stones. Turns really nicely and you
can do some pretty fine turning with it - the Teenie
Weenie Tiny Top for example. Hard maple will let you
do really fine, delicate stuff as well.

The outside finial on The Nice One I think is Strawberry
Guava. I had two trees in the front yard that were
supposed to remain bushes I'm told. The previous
owner had let them go and I had the messiest trees
(next to female ginko) on the block - two thirty gallon
garbage cans worth of 1/2" to 3/4" red on the outside
mushy yellow orange on the inside berries. You couldn't
rake them, shovel them or even hose them up because
they turned to mush when you touched them. Finally
got around to cutting them down - but bandsawed up
some of the logettes. The stuff turns wonderfully
and the grain is very fine, the color uniform and bland.

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Charlie
Nice job on the pages. I know what you mean about the common names of woods.
One of the things I wanted from out trip to Thailand was some local wood to
turn. Just about impossible to find. However I got some "tool handles" at
one of the markets. They were each a trapezoidal piece of wood about an inch
thick, twelve or so inches long, and tapering from one and a half to one
inch. When I asked what kind of wood they were I was told mai pai. Helps me
not a bit but I figured I could get three or four pen blanks out of each so
I got five for 100 baht. Call it $3.50. What would I have to lose? Now I
know I should have gotten more. It looks like rosewood, turns like rosewood,
smells like rosewood and tastes like rosewood (never mind). Seems like
rosewood to me. Any one got rosewood pen blanks for sale at thirty cents
apiece?
--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell Feltmate wrote:

smells like rosewood and tastes like rosewood (never mind). Seems like
rosewood to me. Any one got rosewood pen blanks for sale at thirty cents
apiece?

Um yeah ... I can see the "Buy It Now" price on eBay ... 30 cents each
.... local pickup only. ;-)

That said, I found some katalox pretty cheaply. It's 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x
24". I figure that, with some judicious resawing on the band saw, it
should make about 16 pens. If I like it, I'll load up on it. If I don't,
I'm out $5.70 per stick ... roughly 35 cents each. The (heavily waxed)
picture and description make it sound roughly like a cross between
rosewood, blackwood and purpleheart. I'll know sometime in the next week.

I'm trying to widen out on my wood varieties. I haven't seen katalox at
the normal retail places, so that was a big plus. It probably causes
tumors to form on inanimate objects.

Additionally, I stumbled on some truly gorgeous heavily curled hickory
recently. Roughly 1/8" curls from end to end. I've already bought all
that I can afford, but I think that Bill Bowman still has a hundred or
so sticks left. Do an eBay search for curly hickory. He has a store
called The Rivers Edge Exotics. He & Sabrina have treated me right
through 3 transactions so far.

Bill

--
When the rich wage war it's the poor who die.
Jean-Paul Sartre, The Devil and the Good Lord (1951) act 1

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0666-1, 12/31/2006
Tested on: 1/1/2007 1:23:18 AM

news pages fondos Home Ownership 0 November 21st 06 06:43 PM
news pages fondos Home Repair 0 November 21st 06 06:40 PM
sharpening pages are done (mostly) Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 8 October 1st 06 08:33 PM
for those interested, pages have been updated. Spike Home Repair 0 July 24th 06 06:54 AM
ShopNotes pages Chris Carruth Woodworking 5 February 12th 05 12:00 AM