Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b charlie b is offline

Default 3 Pages on Making The Nice One

Bob N wrote:

Great job, Charlie!

Thanks. So have you tried turned lidded boxes yet?

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience
with the rest of us.

I tend to jump around with my woodworking, working with
one type of piece, trying different methods until I find one
that works for me. When I've got it down pretty well I
drop it and go look for something completely different to
make. Problem was that when I'd get back to something
I'd done before I often had forgotten some of the details
of a successful method or procedure. So, while I was
learning how to make - let's say a Blurfle - I'd do Notes
To Myself. Doing them helps me understand a process/
procedure / method better. The first pass at doing
the instructions usually has critical holes in them. As
I follow the instructions I'll see the "holes" and since
the things I'd just learned are still fresh in my mind
they're easy to fill in. After 3 or 4 revisions I've got
a set of step by step instructions for making a
Blurfle. If, or when, I get back to making Blurfles I
don't have to go through the trial - and error - process
again. This frees me up to make entirely NEW mistakes

Once I've got a set of instructions that works for me
it doesn't take much effort to turn them into a few
web pages. Again, I do that for me. I "misplace" things
in the physical world. BUT - if they make it to my
computer and then to the Web, I can't lose them. The
fact that this stuff may be useful to others is just
gravy. I'll add some encouraging words to the instructions
and hopefully get someone to try something they didn't
think they could do.

Now if you go through some of these instructions you
may think to yourself "This guy must think I'm an idiot.
Why else would he include so much detail about things
that are so obvious?" Well, I've found that a lot of the
"basics", the "everybody knows that" common knowledge
is often what's missing in other instructions. I'd rather
have more information than not enough information.
A missing critical step can mean the difference between
success and failure. And, while success leads to success,
failure is often the end of trying.

So - if you use any of my "instructions" - please make
a note of any gaps, ambiguities or stuff that just seems
wrong. Send them along to me and I'll fix things and
get the revisions out on the Web. That way you and I
will benefit - and the next guy / gal as well.

charlie b