Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default 3 Pages on Making The Nice One

Darrell Feltmate wrote:

smells like rosewood and tastes like rosewood (never mind). Seems like
rosewood to me. Any one got rosewood pen blanks for sale at thirty cents
apiece?

Um yeah ... I can see the "Buy It Now" price on eBay ... 30 cents each
.... local pickup only. ;-)

That said, I found some katalox pretty cheaply. It's 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x
24". I figure that, with some judicious resawing on the band saw, it
should make about 16 pens. If I like it, I'll load up on it. If I don't,
I'm out $5.70 per stick ... roughly 35 cents each. The (heavily waxed)
picture and description make it sound roughly like a cross between
rosewood, blackwood and purpleheart. I'll know sometime in the next week.

I'm trying to widen out on my wood varieties. I haven't seen katalox at
the normal retail places, so that was a big plus. It probably causes
tumors to form on inanimate objects.

Additionally, I stumbled on some truly gorgeous heavily curled hickory
recently. Roughly 1/8" curls from end to end. I've already bought all
that I can afford, but I think that Bill Bowman still has a hundred or
so sticks left. Do an eBay search for curly hickory. He has a store
called The Rivers Edge Exotics. He & Sabrina have treated me right
through 3 transactions so far.

Bill

--
When the rich wage war it's the poor who die.
Jean-Paul Sartre, The Devil and the Good Lord (1951) act 1

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0666-1, 12/31/2006
Tested on: 1/1/2007 1:23:18 AM