Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default This is getting bad

I've only had my lathe for a couple of weeks and I can't believe how
slippery this slope is. Let me give you a couple of examples. We were
going to celebrate my son-in-law's birthday yesterday and I insisted
that we take my pickup truck rather than the car in case there were any
good looking pieces of wood lying along the road. I'm considering
buying a lockable tool box for the truck so I can keep my chain saw
with me at all time just in case.

I was sitting there eating birthday cake last night when my wife nudged
me to get my attention. It seems that someone had asked me a question
and I didn't hear them. I was too busy staring at the brass
candlestick on the table and thinking, "I bet I could turn that."

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

And your point with all this normalcy is????

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Olebiker" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've only had my lathe for a couple of weeks and I can't believe how
slippery this slope is. Let me give you a couple of examples. We were
going to celebrate my son-in-law's birthday yesterday and I insisted
that we take my pickup truck rather than the car in case there were any
good looking pieces of wood lying along the road. I'm considering
buying a lockable tool box for the truck so I can keep my chain saw
with me at all time just in case.

I was sitting there eating birthday cake last night when my wife nudged
me to get my attention. It seems that someone had asked me a question
and I didn't hear them. I was too busy staring at the brass
candlestick on the table and thinking, "I bet I could turn that."

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
And your point with all this normalcy is????

God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

As a new turner, I want to thank you for your website. It has provided
me with a lot of answers to really basic questions.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Olebiker wrote:
I've only had my lathe for a couple of weeks and I can't believe how
slippery this slope is. Let me give you a couple of examples. We were
going to celebrate my son-in-law's birthday yesterday and I insisted
that we take my pickup truck rather than the car in case there were any
good looking pieces of wood lying along the road. I'm considering
buying a lockable tool box for the truck so I can keep my chain saw
with me at all time just in case.

For me, the slope took the form of my wife telling me where the fallen
trees were. That lasted until I got two good-sized outdoor racks built
and crammed full and one end of the basement lined with shelves FULL of
drying wood. Now she wants to take the car more often ... but I've got a
secret ... -I- know where there are some gaps in the racks just waiting
for some choice turning stock. And those bowls she has been oooohing and
ahhhing about? They left gaps in the basement shelves. ;-)

Bill

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0663-0, 12/27/2006
Tested on: 12/27/2006 1:37:11 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Boy do I understand the sentiment! My pile is just starting to grow and
yet my
lathe is still unactive and the tools still in the mail. I came home
the other day and while
unlocking the door heard a distant chainsaw. I'll be right back, told
the kids, and ran out after the sweet sound. I found an enormous aspen
tree being sliced up and commissioned a few samples.
Now, if I could just get my hands on some olive tree....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If just about everything you see gets you thinking
"If that were rotated - around that axis . . .",

If you've looked at an Escoulen eccentric piece and
have figured out how it was done . . . ,

If you can't prune a rosebush, or any woody plant
without trying to turn "the big stuff" . . . ,

If, next to the parking lot of your dentist, you check
out the big lumpy tree that has to have a really
interesting burl - and once again remind your dentist
"If you ever decide to take down that tree out
there . . ." ,

If you have two or more blue tarps covering stacks
of logettes - ends sealed with different color paints
and a large old kettle with 10 pounds of melted
and then cooled wax in it . . . ,

If you find you have five or six large black garbage
bags filled with shavings and chips that you can't
figure out what to do with . . . ,

And if a stacked blonde wearing a turned wooden
bracelet walks by - and you only notice the
bracelet . . . ,

THEN

You're well down the slope to becoming a Turniste!

charlie b
If you turn wearing a T-shirt and often find
chips and shavings in your shorts . . . ,

If you turn "green", even if water squirts out
of it as you apply the gouge or chisel edge to
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

charlie b wrote:

If you can't prune a rosebush, or any woody plant
without trying to turn "the big stuff" . . . ,

Yeah, those crepe myrtles in the back yard are starting to get nervous.

Bad flybacks. Dani Electronics Repair 3 July 29th 06 12:04 AM
JVC 56WP30, bad convergence ICs. Which resistors go bad? BigMike Electronics Repair 4 January 5th 06 08:21 AM
BAD John Woodworking 21 June 12th 05 11:34 AM
Why Are There So Many Bad Tools? Buttonhole McGee Woodworking 138 January 18th 05 05:27 AM