Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Musing about being nickel and dimed to frustration or worse.

One advantage of musing 'ex ignoramous' as opposed to pontificating 'ex
cathedra' is that I can be caught off base without being tagged out.
That being so, I'll muse about dime bombs and powdered metal bowl gouges
from a position of ignorance.
There is much ado recently about Dense Inert Metal Explosives (DIMES).
One consideration relates to studies that show that tungsten and nickel
alloys are neoplastic transforming agents for human bone cells and are
rapidly carcinogenic in rats. One of many references:

http;//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dense_
Inert_Metal_Explosive

AFAIK. carbides of tungsten and nickel are not a cause for worry re
toxic or carcinogenic effects in humans (that includes most
woodturners), but I wonder what other alloys of these dense inert metals
lurk in the dust that swirls around our grinder as we sharpen our
'powdered and rouged, new and improved' expensive bowl gouges. Dollars
always, now Dimes & Nickels.... must everything eventually come down to
money?

Enough of this morbid musing. Tis the season for joy. I hope some
industrial safety experts and the rest of you will respond and allay my
silly fears.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter