Alex \(YMG\)

Default Roof Access Frustration!

Dear all,

---
See www.azpaintings.com/house/roof/index.htm for a better description, with
photos
---

I am currently in the process of 'repainting' my front chimney stack - using
a roof ladder, some boarding and of course a myriad of harnesses (to help
alleviate my newly found fear of heights!).

This would have been fine for repainting, however on closer inspection I
have now discovered that almost total re-rendering of the stack is
required - something I definitely do not think is viable from a ladder - too
much material to lug up there, not enough mobility etc.

The current access is up and over from the back of the house - see
www.azpaintings.com/house/roof/house_back.jpg and
www.azpaintings.com/house/roof/roof_front.jpg . Due to the necessity of
still using a roof ladder to reach any chimney scaffolding, I am currently
enamoured by the idea of hiring a cherry picker - probably need a 12m one
for this.

I have googled posts on the subject, and having been in up in one a few
times before, I feel reasonably well informed regarding the subject.
However, I wonder if any of those of you with more experience of such
situations could offer any specific advice?

Many thanks in advance

Frustratedly,

Alex

Lobster

Alex (YMG) wrote:

I am currently
enamoured by the idea of hiring a cherry picker - probably need a 12m one
for this.

I have googled posts on the subject, and having been in up in one a few
times before, I feel reasonably well informed regarding the subject.
However, I wonder if any of those of you with more experience of such
situations could offer any specific advice?

I think if it was me, this is an occasion where I'd be calling in the pros!

Apart from anything else, surely by the time you've paid a hire fee on a
cherry picker, isn't it going to be more cost-effective to get someone
else to do the whole job?

David
Rick

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:38:52 GMT, "Alex \(YMG\)"
wrote:

Dear all,

---
[...]

For any serious roof work I would recomend that you get something good
and safe to stand on. round my way, the hire cost of the cherry picker
is much more than the cost of a guy to do the whole job.

Rick

Rob Morley

In article ,
says...
The current access is up and over from the back of the house - see
www.azpaintings.com/house/roof/house_back.jpg and
www.azpaintings.com/house/roof/roof_front.jpg . Due to the necessity of
still using a roof ladder to reach any chimney scaffolding, I am currently
enamoured by the idea of hiring a cherry picker - probably need a 12m one
for this.

If you put a platform (probably on two levels) from the front of the
chimney to the front of the dormers you would have front ladder access,
and somewhere to stand to haul up buckets of render.

R.P.McMurphy

"Alex (YMG)" wrote in message
Dear all,

---
[...]

get the scaffolders in. then do the repairs yourself. still gonna work out
a damn sight cheaper than getting the pros(sic) in! and at least you can do
a good job on it and safely!

Steve

Certainly a good advert for the use of a digital camera. I now
photograph everything I do. I recently used a fairly recent photo to
remind me if I'd put double studding in at a plasterboard joint. Only
two years ago. I've set my camera to timer mode then stuffed it under
floor boars to check for damp in joists. Best toy ever.

Chris.

Alex \(YMG\)

"Alex (YMG)" wrote ...
Dear all,

---
See www.azpaintings.com/house/roof/index.htm for a better description,
with photos
---

snipped

--

Many thanks for your knowledgeable thoughts guys - I think I shall find out
some ballpark quotes for both the two-tier chimney scaffolding and, out of

Thanks again, have a good weekend

Alex

Alex (YMG) wrote:
"Alex (YMG)" wrote ...
Dear all,

---
See www.azpaintings.com/house/roof/index.htm for a better description,
with photos

Many thanks for your knowledgeable thoughts guys - I think I shall find out
some ballpark quotes for both the two-tier chimney scaffolding and, out of
interest, for a cherry picker - just to see what the difference is.

Thanks again, have a good weekend

Alex

I'd suggest rerendering in lime not cement. You can put it onto wet
brickwork and it'll allow it to gradually dry. It will also avoid the
long term damage cement render can cause.

NT