Posted to alt.home.repair
skarsan

Default cockoroach problem getting worse

I live in an old buliding with my granfather and mother we have roaches
everywhere. I have cleaned everywhere put roach bait out and still I am
having roaches. The landlord has not taken care of the things that the
Inspector has asked him to do. So I am not going to whine about it
any longer it is an old bulding and we cannot do anything about it the
landlord is even intitled to rent if he does not fix the problems I
live in a city where I have to put up or shut up. There is no rent
control either.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

you must team up with everyone under the same roof and hire an
exterminator.
every apartment must cleaned up and treated at the same time.
while you are gathering up the cash, have everyone read all about
cockroaches at:
http://pested.unl.edu/cocktoc.htm

skarsan wrote:
I live in an old buliding with my granfather and mother we have roaches
everywhere. I have cleaned everywhere put roach bait out and still I am
having roaches. The landlord has not taken care of the things that the
Inspector has asked him to do. So I am not going to whine about it
any longer it is an old bulding and we cannot do anything about it the
landlord is even intitled to rent if he does not fix the problems I
live in a city where I have to put up or shut up. There is no rent
control either.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 5 Jun 2006 21:23:54 -0700, "skarsan"
wrote:

I live in an old buliding with my granfather and mother we have roaches
everywhere. I have cleaned everywhere put roach bait out and still I am
having roaches. The landlord has not taken care of the things that the
Inspector has asked him to do. So I am not going to whine about it
any longer it is an old bulding and we cannot do anything about it the
landlord is even intitled to rent if he does not fix the problems I
live in a city where I have to put up or shut up. There is no rent
control either.

Rent control has it's own problems (says someone who was rent
stabilized for 10 years.)

I never relied on my landlord for much, and that worked pretty well
because he never did much. Boric acid is the easiest roach
controller, and very cheap when bought as plain boric acid. There is
no need to make your kitchen look ridiculous with thick rows along all
the walls, like I've seen others do it. I just put it behind the
stove, where no one but the roaches saw it. Did you know that if you
stand in Times Square, eventually you'll see everyone you know. Well
if you lie behind the stove, eventually every roach in the place will
walk by. Either that, or the ones that do walk by bring it back to
the others.

But we also had wallpaper that the stupid schoolgirl tenants before me
had painted over, which encouraged it to make it come up at the edges
and let the roaches live underneath. So I bought a half gallon of
something poisonous, with a plastic hose and hand held sprayer, but I
didn't use spray for 10 foot ceilings. I just used stream and laid
down a bunch where the roaches were. They'd come out running and
dying. And they wouldn't live there again for a few months.

Most of the 10 years I lived there roaches were not a problem, but
once they got started, they grew and 1 year was poor and 1 years was
pretty bad.

Finally the coup de grace was to bomb them. In Brooklyn they sold
good product at the hardware store, but I'm not sure how hard it would
be to get this stuff other than NYC. Bombs are poison in an aerosol
can, and you get everyone out of the house for 24 hours. The last one
out sets the bombs. Sometimes only one is necessary, but we had 6
large rooms and 3 baths, so I did one for the kitchen and one in the
middle of the rest of the apartment.

All the windows should be closed, pets removed, the light switches
should be taped, so that no one turns them on or off before the place
is vented at the end of the 24 hours. The bombs are set up
vertically. Then each of the bombs is started, and it will spray
straight up without any fingers applied until the can is empty and the
whole room is filled with mist, that gets into all the cracks and
niches. You should be long gone by then. I was gone in 30 seconds
from the first one.

We came back 24 hours or more later, and there were no or almost no
roaches for a few years after this, until I moved to Baltimore.

In theory, eveyrone in the building should kill their roaches at the
same time, so they don't just vacation in another apartment and then
come back later, but I didn't check with anyone else and in this case
it didn't seem to matter. Should have bombed at the start of the
2-year period, I guess, but it was a learning experience.

NYC doesn't have as many chains as the rest of the country, and I
don't remember the names of the stores I shopped at 23 years ago.

Maybe yp.yahoo.com will enable you to find someone who will ship, if
you can't find bombs where you live. I hope the ones now are as good
as then.

Isnt there a special newsgroup for exterminating or vermin?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 01:05:58 -0400, mm
wrote:

Did you know that if you
stand in Times Square, eventually you'll see everyone you know. Well

Maybe I'm thinking of State and Randolph in Chicago. I know there's
some place like that!

if you lie behind the stove, eventually every roach in the place will
walk by.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug

wrote:

I live in an old buliding with my granfather and mother we have roaches
everywhere. I have cleaned everywhere put roach bait out and still I am
having roaches. The landlord has not taken care of the things that the
Inspector has asked him to do. So I am not going to whine about it
any longer it is an old bulding and we cannot do anything about it the
landlord is even intitled to rent if he does not fix the problems I
live in a city where I have to put up or shut up. There is no rent
control either.

Go rent the movie "Joe's Apartment".

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke

wrote:

I live in an old buliding with my granfather and mother we have roaches
everywhere. I have cleaned everywhere put roach bait out and still I am
having roaches. The landlord has not taken care of the things that the
Inspector has asked him to do. So I am not going to whine about it
any longer it is an old bulding and we cannot do anything about it the
landlord is even intitled to rent if he does not fix the problems I
live in a city where I have to put up or shut up. There is no rent
control either.

Go rent the movie "Joe's Apartment".

Might want to play the game "Bad Mojo" as well.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

wrote:

I live in an old buliding with my granfather and mother we have roaches
everywhere. I have cleaned everywhere put roach bait out and still I am
having roaches. The landlord has not taken care of the things that the
Inspector has asked him to do. So I am not going to whine about it
any longer it is an old bulding and we cannot do anything about it the
landlord is even intitled to rent if he does not fix the problems I
live in a city where I have to put up or shut up. There is no rent
control either.

I don't have much of a solution other than get on your cha-cha heels
on and turn up the dance music. Roaches are tough pest to deal with.
Personally, I'd move, perhaps talk with a lawyer who can offer you
more options.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On 5 Jun 2006 21:41:27 -0700, "buffalobill"
wrote:

you must team up with everyone under the same roof and hire an
exterminator.
every apartment must cleaned up and treated at the same time.
while you are gathering up the cash, have everyone read all about
cockroaches at:
http://pested.unl.edu/cocktoc.htm

This site is exceptionally good. Thanks.