Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Help fixing up old Lathe

Hi everybody, I have an old (25+yrs) Craftsman Lathe that I am trying
to get running. I would like to replace the step pulleys, but I cannot
get them off. I have located and losened the set screws, but the
pulleys will not budge. Any suggestions on how to 'persuade' these
things to come off?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

As stated by L Rod, make sure that there is no other set screw or locking
device. Check with extra light in the bottom of each groove. Overtime the
set screw holes may have been filled and covered with rubber belt residue.
Ideally a proper puller resting on the head of the shaft would be the best
tool to remove the pulley.
The other suggestion is to use W40 and wait for a day or two. If it does
not work start over again and tap gently with a brass hammer of piece of
hardwood around the pulley.
As a last resort heat can be use with great care. First take the necessary
precaution to protect all combustible items close by. Either by using a wet
rag around the components or something better and have the fire extinguisher
on standby.
Slowly heat with a propane torch around the shaft and pulley while tapping
lightly with a brass hammer/piece of hardwood around the pulley. At time.
you may have to leave it overnight and try it the next day.

"LRod" wrote in message
On 7 Dec 2006 11:05:08 -0800, wrote:

Hi everybody, I have an old (25+yrs) Craftsman Lathe that I am trying
to get running. I would like to replace the step pulleys, but I cannot
get them off. I have located and losened the set screws, but the
pulleys will not budge. Any suggestions on how to 'persuade' these
things to come off?

Have you checked to make sure there isn't another set screw under the
first one? Take the set screw all the way out and look. Sometimes a
second screw was added as a "lock screw."

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I should have mentioned this before, It would be a good idea to use mineral
spirit with an old paint brush to clean all the pulley's grooves and around
it. This way it would be easier to locate any locking devices. If you find
another set screw and you cannot unscrew it do not force it. The previous
owner may have used some locktide. You will have to use some WD 40 or
better to loosen the set screw. Extracting a broken set screw is a
nightmare.

"LRod" wrote in message
On 7 Dec 2006 11:05:08 -0800, wrote:

Hi everybody, I have an old (25+yrs) Craftsman Lathe that I am trying
to get running. I would like to replace the step pulleys, but I cannot
get them off. I have located and losened the set screws, but the
pulleys will not budge. Any suggestions on how to 'persuade' these
things to come off?

Have you checked to make sure there isn't another set screw under the
first one? Take the set screw all the way out and look. Sometimes a
second screw was added as a "lock screw."

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Get you some PB Blaster at an automotive store (Autozone, Pep Boys,
etc.) spray it down liberally and let it set for a couple of hours.
Don't use WD-40!! More than likely it will come off quite easily from
using the PB Blaster. If not, then a three jaw puller should make
quick work of pulling it off.

Here is a link to the PB Blaster if you can't find it locally and I
don't think that you'll have that problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Blaster-Penetr.../dp/B0002ZAX96

Regards,
Steve

On 7 Dec 2006 11:05:08 -0800, wrote:

Hi everybody, I have an old (25+yrs) Craftsman Lathe that I am trying
to get running. I would like to replace the step pulleys, but I cannot
get them off. I have located and losened the set screws, but the
pulleys will not budge. Any suggestions on how to 'persuade' these
things to come off?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Step-cone pulleys are commonly cast out of fairly soft alloy. If you pull
really hard with a puller, there is a good chance you will warp the pulley.
Be careful and watch closely. Possibly you could make a plate to fit behind
the pulley, so you distribute the load. If a new matching pulley can be
had, just use a hack saw to get the old one off.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

LRod wrote:

Have you checked to make sure there isn't another set screw under the
first one? Take the set screw all the way out and look. Sometimes a
second screw was added as a "lock screw."

Eureka! A way to keep my Nova Comet pulley set from coming loose. Now why
didn't I think of that? Thanks, LRod.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I think this might be the same lathe as mine, just a different name
plate. If it has a round tube bed if I am correct.
I had the same issue. I found there are two set screw holes, so be
sure you get both. It would be wise to check for two set screws in each
hols as others have mentioned.
I found with mine that burrs were holding the pulley in place. No
amount of oil will loosen a burr. I used a block of wood to cover and
protect the pulley and then drove it deeper onto the shaft. Once it
started to move, it broke the burrs and was relatively easy to wiggle
off.
hope this helps,
Brad
wrote:
Hi everybody, I have an old (25+yrs) Craftsman Lathe that I am trying
to get running. I would like to replace the step pulleys, but I cannot
get them off. I have located and losened the set screws, but the
pulleys will not budge. Any suggestions on how to 'persuade' these
things to come off?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Brad wrote:
I think this might be the same lathe as mine, just a different name
plate. If it has a round tube bed if I am correct.
I had the same issue. I found there are two set screw holes, so be
sure you get both. It would be wise to check for two set screws in each
hols as others have mentioned.
I found with mine that burrs were holding the pulley in place. No
amount of oil will loosen a burr. I used a block of wood to cover and
protect the pulley and then drove it deeper onto the shaft. Once it
started to move, it broke the burrs and was relatively easy to wiggle
off.
hope this helps,
Brad

Brad, it sounds like you have the same machine as I do. I've located
both set screw holes and completely removed the set screws. With a
little bit of light shining down the hole, I can see the shaft, so
there aren't two set screws. I'll try to bash the pulley down onto the
shaft a bit further to see if that helps break it free.

Thanks for the advise.

Mike