Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Binh Pho Is Coming! Binh Pho Is Coming!

The Silicon Valley Woodturners are having Binh Pho out for a
bit of Show and Tell. THAT got me to finally get around to
joining a club. May even take one of Rich Johnson's all day
Turning Boot Camps.

Being a self taught turner (bookshelf of turning books, a couple
of feet of DVDs and VHS tapes) I've come up with ways to
turn all sorts of between centers stuff including multi off
center stuff and out of anything I can lay my hands on. You
prune it and if it's wood I'll try and turn it. Got a SuperNova2
chuck a while back and another not long after, along with most
of the jaw sets. Before that it was weed pots, now lidded
boxes and some bowls are do-able. Almost closed vessels are
on the Learn to Do list.

Up to now I've only gotten together with one turner - for about
an hour. He showed me how to make my straight skews into
curved skews - though not quite as curved as Raffan's. THAT
took the SCAREEEEE out of the skew and opened up all kinds
of ways to use skews. Joining this club should provide some
feed back on the stuff I'm doing, turn me on to things I would
never have thought of, or thought of actually trying, maybe
help somebody less experienced (someday down the line) and
get told "you're doing it all wrong" or "my way's better" - in
addition to "here's one way to do ...".

Anyone else join a club?

charlie b

spray can

HomeLife

Ant & Roach
KILLER

kills fast
kills for up to 4 weeks
non-staining
no oily residue

country scent

do the words home, life and killer go together
and what is
country scent?
Which country?