mike

Default hot water coming into cold water line

I manage the facilities for a 100 year old hotel turned into a
school...in our big commercial kitchen, when you turn on the cold
water in the morning at the sinks you get 30 seconds of very hot water
coming out...thn the cold comes...anybody got any clever ideas on how
to figure out where it is coming from...I already know I can hire a
plumber who may spend hours tracking it (at $90 per hour)...I am
looking for a do-it-yourself solution.

Many thanks for any help.

Mike
Matt

mike wrote:
I manage the facilities for a 100 year old hotel turned into a
school...in our big commercial kitchen, when you turn on the cold
water in the morning at the sinks you get 30 seconds of very hot water
coming out...thn the cold comes...anybody got any clever ideas on how
to figure out where it is coming from...I already know I can hire a
plumber who may spend hours tracking it (at $90 per hour)...I am
looking for a do-it-yourself solution.

Many thanks for any help.

Mike

Is it a new problem? Do the cold water pipes run next to some heat source?

Eric Scantlebury

"mike" wrote in message
om...
I manage the facilities for a 100 year old hotel turned into a
school...in our big commercial kitchen, when you turn on the cold
water in the morning at the sinks you get 30 seconds of very hot water
coming out...thn the cold comes...anybody got any clever ideas on how
to figure out where it is coming from...I already know I can hire a
plumber who may spend hours tracking it (at $90 per hour)...I am
looking for a do-it-yourself solution.

Many thanks for any help.

If it's not as the other two posters suggested then....

I'd look for a cold water leak and "assume" that the pressurized hot water
was "back filling" through the faucet?

Pop Rivet

"mike" wrote in message
om...
I manage the facilities for a 100 year old hotel turned

into a
school...in our big commercial kitchen, when you turn on

the cold
water in the morning at the sinks you get 30 seconds of

very hot water
coming out...thn the cold comes...anybody got any clever

ideas on how
to figure out where it is coming from...I already know I

can hire a
plumber who may spend hours tracking it (at $90 per

hour)...I am
looking for a do-it-yourself solution.

Many thanks for any help.

Mike

I don't think proximity of the hot/cold pipes would result
in water as hot as you seem to indicate, but it's possible.
Especially if they happen to be wrapped in the same
insulation somewhere along the line.

Check around the plant equipment: water heater, boiler,
etc., for valve arrangements that could tie hot/cold water
together. If it's not proximity heating, which I don't
think it is, the somewher along the line there must be
someplace where valving or even a stupid plumbing mistake
let the two cross somehow where there is a slow running
mixing.
What's the possibility that all the air-traps and/or
tanks are waterlogged and during nonuse, heating of the
water causes water th back up, and when it comes forward,
comes out the cold water pipe?
Try running the hot water first, then the cold water
after. If the cold isn't hot then, it's pretty likely a
backup around the heater/boiler, whatever you have.

Pop

Don Young

A very common cause of this is a single handle faucet which leaks internally
between the hot and cold connections. Feeling of the supply pipes will
detect this. A check valve or regulator in the cold water feed without an
expansion tank at the heater will also do it.
Don Young

"Pop Rivet" wrote in message
news

om...