Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default The Turning Slippery Slope

When I bought the JET VS mini/midi as a diversion from
making cabinets and furniture I figured it would be a
branch of woodworking that wouldn't cost an arm and
a leg. I'd already gotten on the Hand Tools Slippery Slope
(TWO wall cabinets full of chisels, hand planes, marking gauges,
dovetail saws, tenon saws, etc.)

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...lCabinet2.html

I didn't realize I'd repeat that long and expensive slide
when I decided to dabble with turning.

Now, a year or so later, and probably only in the upper
third of a Triple Black Diamond run, I've got a floor stand
full of turning tools, two SuperNova2 chucks - with most
of the available jaw sets, built a lathe bench with 50 pounds
of lead bird shot for a little extra weight, have rolls of
cloth backed "sand paper" - in grits I didn't know existed.
I alrleady had a Tormek - with various accessories -
OK ALL the accessories - and figured that with it AND
a set of japanese water stones - AND a Scary Sharp
set up, I had sharpening covered. WRONG! Discovered that
turning chisels and gouges require a LOT more sharpening
than hand plane irons and bench chisels. I just picked up
the Wolverine sharpening jig - with the fingernail jig accessory,
along with a pair of Norton (?) grinding wheels to replace
the ones that came with the grinder I bought 15 years
ago. When I buying wood for turning it's sold by the pound
instead of by the board foot. While a shop apron can be had
for $20, $30 if you get fancy, a "turner's frock" starts at
$50 and goes up from there. If you think furniture finishes
are expensive check out the price of bowl finishes! And
why one of those rotating swivel head handled inside
bowl sanding things go for $30 - $50 when you can buy a
Dewalt ROS for $80+ is a mystery to me.

Turning is the Crack Cocaine of the woodworking addiction!

"Newbies - BEWARE! - this way lies madness - and an empty
checking account!" - he said as he left with his "list" for the
woodworking show, a wad if 20s burning a hole in his pocket
and a $500 daily limit on his debit card. Did you know that
2 full sheets of each of the MicroMesh full range of grits
is "only" $84!

charlie b

ps - have you noticed that Tormek is now marketing their
machines as edge refinement tools rather than slow speed
wet grinders. For refining an existing bevel to attain a
cutting edge which can't be achieved with just a "grinder".
Did I mention that turning gouges and chisels WILL wear
down a Tormek wheel at an amazing rate - AND a replace-
ment is "only" $139?

At this rate I may have to come out of retirement just
to pay for this turning addiction

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mike R. Courteau wrote:

Ah! c'mon Charlie, admit it, at least you're havin' fun now, right?

Hell, any kind of woodworking is fun. Turning just provides quicker
feedback and gratification. Also uses a LOT less wood - though
big blocks of wood aren't readily available at lumber yards. BUT -
it's easy to get suitable pieces for free - if you listen for chain
saws and watch the side of the road while driving around,

When was the last time you saw flatwork going at 80 mph?

I own, and use, a 3 hp 10" table saw. Yes, I've seen flatwork
going considerably faster than a mere 80 mph - 10 inch diam
at 5000 rpms has teeth traveling at very close to 150 MPH.
When one or more of those spinning teeth at the back of the
blade contacts the wood being cut it sure seems like the
kickbacked wood is traveling much faster than just 150 mph!

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

if you go to my web site www.wbnoble.com and browse around, or to
www.woodturners.org and click on tips you will find my article on making
these things - total cost is under $10 and that is all for the sanding pad.

" And
why one of those rotating swivel head handled inside
bowl sanding things go for $30 - $50 when you can buy a
Dewalt ROS for $80+ is a mystery to me.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

William Noble wrote:

if you go to my web site www.wbnoble.com and browse around, or to
www.woodturners.org and click on tips you will find my article on making
these things - total cost is under $10 and that is all for the sanding pad.

Thanks for the link and your article on making a sander. Must be
the swivel capability that makes it expensive.

charlie b