Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Default Festool -DANGER Will Robinson - aka yet another slippery slope

OK - so there's The Heavy Iron Slippery Slope, The Neander Tools
Slippery
Slope, The Sharpening System Slippery Slope - and now The Festool System
Slippery Slope. Each causes acceleration of the depletion of one's
checking account.

My Festool System Sliippery Slope has begun with the Festool
Trion PS 300 EQ, a 5 pound, barrel grip, pendulum jigsaw with
Systainer - which, coincidentaly, is the least expensive tool
in their "system". While it works very well, its dust/chip collection
set up begs for a Festool "mobile dust extractor" - the least
expensive model is $285, mid range $425 and high end at $490.
Each of them has a 110V outlet for you power tool. Turn on
the tool, the "extractor" comes on and then the tool. At 72 db,
these vacuum cleaners all also serve as the wheeled base for
Systainers to stack upon and lock to.

After that it's probably one of their three plunge routers $325
-$425 - locking shaft with single wrench ratcheting collet nut
tightening/loosening. Of course that would benefit from their
Multi-Function Table ($320-$440) as well as three or four hundred
bucks worth of clamps, stops and other accessories.

If you have the table it'll make some operations with the Festool
TS 55 EQ or TS 75 EQ, 6 1/4" and 8 1/4" plunge circular saw,
with guide, even easier. At $430 and $550 respectively,
these plunge circular saws look sort of familiar - but they're only
very distant cousins to their "created for construction sites"
circular saws. If you do sheet goods cabinets, one of these,
with the guide rail that comes with it, along with one of the
three Festool plunge routers, would do the job. Wouldn't hurt
to have the RO 150 E - dual mode 6" circular sander either.

Oh, if there are any screws to drive - even in a corner, Festool's
C12 cordless drill - at $345, $460 with their FastFix and Centronic
chucks.

Festool is to hand power tools what Veritas is to neander
tools, without Veritas's very reasonably price ranges.

It'll come as no surprise that Mr. Lucas got his hands on
most of Festools product line and has given them a workout
on an actual set of projects. Be forewarned, your checking
account may be assaulted. Go here - if you dare.

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/men-fes.htm

Or to browse

http://www.mcfeelys.com/festool/fest...e-cut-saws.asp

If you like Porsche and Mercedes - you're gonna love
Festool.

charlie b
no association with Festool - just a beginning addict.
Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Robatoy wrote:

snip

I do feel the need to point out that the Porsche Mercedes analogy just
doesn't fly.

Festool adresses a need enabling a serious professional to execute his
craft with precision and reliability. Porsche & Mercedes cater to the
prestige/snot afficionados with their products. A 174 MPH SUV has
bugger-all to do with form following function.

Ever driven the auto bahn - in a section where there is NO speed
limit? Ever done it in a VW, or even one of GM or Ford's vehicles?

A friend who lives in Munich explained it this way "I can't stay
totally
focused on the road for two and a half hours. I CAN stay really
focused for about an hour - at 170 or 180 mph - in a car with ABS
disc brakes that are the size of garbage can lids, high speed radials
and no blind spots, with a rock steady stearing and drivers who
actually
know how to drive and follow the rules of the road. (If you look in
the rear view mirror and the car behind you has their left turn
signal
on you move out of their way at your earliest opportunity. If the
car behind you has the head lights on you get out of the way even
if it means going under a semi. If the guy in your rear view mirror
is flashing his headlights at you - cut into the side of the tractor
of that semi if you have to - safer than getting rear ended at 220
mph or so)

Festool would never chrome a switch because 'some yuppie asshole will
lap it up."

I'm just glad you didn't draw Audi into this comparison. *G*

...also... I'm seriously looking into Festool's solution for small-shop
32mm drilling operations.
Festool solves problems. Porsche and Mercedes create problems. (aka as
Volkswagen and that taxi company from Stuttgart)

The euro cabinet making system plus the Festool system that
is made to use that sytem is a very nice combination. Dedicated
tools for a specific purpose. The circular saws were use are just
slightly refined versions of a framing carpenter uses - and not
very refined at that.

Then again... people still think that Chivas Regal is scotch.

You're a Pinch Haig & Haig guy or will Cutty or Johny Walker Black
do? Nice thing about scotch on the rocks - it's almost impossible
to screw up - though I did get a scotch and quinine water on a
plane once. Dirty trick to pull on a guy trapped in a plane.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke

g--------------------------------------------------------------------------*****************************************

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke

charlie b wrote:

Robatoy wrote:

[...]

Good thing he lives in a little postage-stamp sized country then. He should
try that going from LA to NY.

(If you look in
the rear view mirror and the car behind you has their left turn
signal
on you move out of their way at your earliest opportunity. If the
car behind you has the head lights on you get out of the way even
if it means going under a semi. If the guy in your rear view mirror
is flashing his headlights at you - cut into the side of the tractor
of that semi if you have to - safer than getting rear ended at 220
mph or so)

If you are driving a 26-wheeler then just slam on the brakes and then go on
about your business. "Collision, what collision? Oh, my GOD, there really
is flat Mercedes back there! Thank you, officer, I'll scrape it off right
away."

Festool would never chrome a switch because 'some yuppie asshole will
lap it up."

I'm just glad you didn't draw Audi into this comparison. *G*

...also... I'm seriously looking into Festool's solution for small-shop
32mm drilling operations.
Festool solves problems. Porsche and Mercedes create problems. (aka as
Volkswagen and that taxi company from Stuttgart)

The euro cabinet making system plus the Festool system that
is made to use that sytem is a very nice combination. Dedicated
tools for a specific purpose. The circular saws were use are just
slightly refined versions of a framing carpenter uses - and not
very refined at that.

Then again... people still think that Chivas Regal is scotch.

You're a Pinch Haig & Haig guy or will Cutty or Johny Walker Black
do?

Personally I prefer Scotch.

Nice thing about scotch on the rocks - it's almost impossible
to screw up

Damn English. Drink your beer hot and your Scotch cold and don't have the
sense to come in out of the noonday sun.

- though I did get a scotch and quinine water on a
plane once. Dirty trick to pull on a guy trapped in a plane.

charlie b

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

charlie b wrote:

You're a Pinch Haig & Haig guy or will Cutty or Johny Walker Black
do? Nice thing about scotch on the rocks - it's almost impossible
to screw up - though I did get a scotch and quinine water on a
plane once. Dirty trick to pull on a guy trapped in a plane.

Had a couple of VWs, give me a Tonka Toy (AKA: Baby Toyota Pick Up).

If it's on the rocks, give me Glen Livit.

Given enough Drambuie, most any scotch will pass muster.

Lew

Slippery slope David Woodworking 6 January 14th 06 04:34 AM
slope ceiling vs raised c barry martin Home Repair 1 November 20th 03 10:20 PM