Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Competion themes

Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin
Carved or decorated bowl
Item made to a drawing
Narrow necked vessel

Can anyone suggest any others?

Thanks

BillR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

One of the clubs I belong to recently had for it's theme: What can you make
from a construction grade 2X4X8', with one square foot of another specie of
wood of your choice for decoration etc. We had platters, birdhouses,
hollow vessels, and a lazy suzan won the contest. Another club I belong to
is having a goblet for it's challange. Any size shape, type of material,
etc.
Don Hart

"BillR" wrote in message
Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin
Carved or decorated bowl
Item made to a drawing
Narrow necked vessel

Can anyone suggest any others?

Thanks

BillR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Orange County Woodturners has the monthly challenge as whatever
technique was demonstrated at the prior meeting. Examples include:
Turning Thin
Bottle Stopper
Under 8" Bowl
"Plain" Bowl (execute a simple design well)
Natural Edge Bowl
Multi Axis (coming soon)
Lidded box
Threading
Etc.

Good luck, DW

BillR wrote:
Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin
Carved or decorated bowl
Item made to a drawing
Narrow necked vessel

Can anyone suggest any others?

Thanks

BillR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

An "acorn" lidded box. Main species must be oak (of course), with any
additional species, carving, as appropriate.

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

"BillR" wrote in message
Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin
Carved or decorated bowl
Item made to a drawing
Narrow necked vessel

Can anyone suggest any others?

Thanks

BillR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

BillR wrote:
Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin
Carved or decorated bowl
Item made to a drawing
Narrow necked vessel

Can anyone suggest any others?

Thanks

BillR

We did candlesticks (the challenge being to get two of exactly the same
thing!), inside out turning, Christmas ornaments and mallets as out
most successful challenges.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:12:40 +0100, "BillR" wrote:

Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin
Carved or decorated bowl
Item made to a drawing
Narrow necked vessel

Can anyone suggest any others?

Segemented turnings? I'm not a member of a club, but I've been having
fun doing those lately.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill,
Our club did a long and thin competition that went over well. The winner a
height to width ratio of something like 30.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners

"BillR" wrote in message
Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin
Carved or decorated bowl
Item made to a drawing
Narrow necked vessel

Can anyone suggest any others?

Thanks

BillR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:12:40 +0100, "BillR" wrote:

Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin
Carved or decorated bowl
Item made to a drawing
Narrow necked vessel

Can anyone suggest any others?

Thanks

BillR

As others have mentioned, matching candlesticks are popular..

A recent challenge in our club was to turn gavels for the outgoing and new club
presidents... had some really nice entries!

I think one thing that most clubs overlook is pen turning... might be an
interesting challenge in there somewhere..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks for all the replies.

I like the idea of this one and the one from Don Hart as the finished item
is not specified but the material to be used. This should bring out the
imagination and could be good fun.

We have different classes from beginner to master and reaching a balance
between what is possible at the beginner end and is too easy at the master
end is accomodated by this theme.

BillR
. ..

"BillR" wrote in message
Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next

years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new

ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin
Carved or decorated bowl
Item made to a drawing
Narrow necked vessel

Can anyone suggest any others?

Thanks

BillR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill you can also use the seasons and special holidays for themes, like
say fruit forms this time of year, hollow or just the forms or boxes,
also thank-givings time, platters and or plates, cups and saucers, or
goblets, long or short with or without rings, christmas time, ornaments
like angels or snowmen, trees or the balls with icicles, pierced or not
and also small bird houses or in the spring at easter time it's good
for eggs, hollow or colored or pierced, then there are the bowls or
hollow forms, mushrooms, toys like tops or whistles or paddle boats,
spoons spurtles dough rollers etc. etc etc.
A demonstration the month before to give everyone an idea of how or
what to do for the next month's challenge.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

BillR wrote:
Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin
Carved or decorated bowl
Item made to a drawing
Narrow necked vessel

Can anyone suggest any others?

Thanks

BillR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks Leo. Quite a comprehensive list.
I notice that most, if not all, are relatively uncomplicated items. This
makes me wonder whether some of themes we have had are too complicated and
have resulted in a poor number of entries. We have been working on the
principle that the themes should be challenging and move the members into
areas new.
For example one of last years themes was a 'mother and child' lace bobbin
not to exceed 6mm (1/4") diam. It took me a week trying to figure out how to
get the slots in it to be neat and even. I know some of the other members
gave up at the thinking stage.
It presents a dilema as to make it easy and get more entries or to be more
difficult and get a few entries.
ps.com...

BillR wrote:
Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next

years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new

ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin
Carved or decorated bowl
Item made to a drawing
Narrow necked vessel

Can anyone suggest any others?

Thanks

BillR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Our club (Inland Woodturners) has each challenge based on the previous month's demo.
Recently we've had:
Turned Spheres: softball size or smaller. Competition on rolling from a ramp,
straightest, closest to a target mark across the floor. Variations in wood density can
make a perfect sphere roll oddly. Fun!
Anything from a single piece of a "construction grade" 4x4, up to 8' long.
Miniature cowboy hats.
Lidded box.
Natural edge bowl.
Thin-walled bowl.

Matt Heffron
Inland Woodturners
www.inlandwoodturners.org

"BillR" wrote in message
Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin
Carved or decorated bowl
Item made to a drawing
Narrow necked vessel

Can anyone suggest any others?

Thanks

BillR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Bill

Yes there's also the I can't compete with so and so, so why bother, I'm
never going to win.

I think it is important that you have 2 or 3 levels where let's say
those that have already won first price before, go into a higher class,
those with 2nd and 3th and honorable prize winnings go into another
category and all others in the novice class.
That way a brand new turner doesn't have to compete with a gifted
accomplished turner, and all compete on a more equal level.
As for complicated or uncomplicated, who's deciding what's complicated
or not ???, something simple for one, might be a real challenge for the
next one.
Of course you can set sizes, like a box with dimensions not to be
exceeded, then leave it up to the person to rise to the challenge,
that's where most people will try to do the best to their abilities,
IMO.
Take the box example, one will try just a good fitting and finished box
and the next will do inlay into that or some other fancy enhancement,
coloring or chatter work etc. , just give them a chance to show what
they can do, and a small $$ prize or ribbon for encouragement.
Give people a chance to explain their special things that they have
done or tried before a winner is chosen, and peoples choice is
preferred over and above "experts" IMO.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo
BillR wrote
Thanks Leo. Quite a comprehensive list.
I notice that most, if not all, are relatively uncomplicated items. This
makes me wonder whether some of themes we have had are too complicated and
have resulted in a poor number of entries. We have been working on the
principle that the themes should be challenging and move the members into
areas new.
For example one of last years themes was a 'mother and child' lace bobbin
not to exceed 6mm (1/4") diam. It took me a week trying to figure out how to
get the slots in it to be neat and even. I know some of the other members
gave up at the thinking stage.
It presents a dilema as to make it easy and get more entries or to be more
difficult and get a few entries.
ps.com...

BillR wrote:
Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next

years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new

ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin
Carved or decorated bowl
Item made to a drawing
Narrow necked vessel

Can anyone suggest any others?

Thanks

BillR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:57:42 +0100, "BillR" wrote:

Hey Bill... I forgot a biggie!

One of the most successful challenges in terms of number of folks responding was
a tool handle...
Entries ranged from a branch with a nail pounded in it to a segmented 18" handle
with shop made brass ferrule... the whole range was covered and there were
"prizes" for best, practical, ugly, etc...
What was fun is that the president picked 3 spouses from the back of the meeting
and had them judge them..

Thanks Leo. Quite a comprehensive list.
I notice that most, if not all, are relatively uncomplicated items. This
makes me wonder whether some of themes we have had are too complicated and
have resulted in a poor number of entries. We have been working on the
principle that the themes should be challenging and move the members into
areas new.
For example one of last years themes was a 'mother and child' lace bobbin
not to exceed 6mm (1/4") diam. It took me a week trying to figure out how to
get the slots in it to be neat and even. I know some of the other members
gave up at the thinking stage.
It presents a dilema as to make it easy and get more entries or to be more
difficult and get a few entries.
ups.com...

BillR wrote:
Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next

years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new

ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin
Carved or decorated bowl
Item made to a drawing
Narrow necked vessel

Can anyone suggest any others?

Thanks

BillR

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

browse over to www.woodturners.org - browse to the newsletters - I have
several years on line - you can see what we have used in the past - contests
like spinning tops and round balls seem popular

"Prometheus" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:12:40 +0100, "BillR" wrote:

Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin
Carved or decorated bowl
Item made to a drawing
Narrow necked vessel

Can anyone suggest any others?

Segemented turnings? I'm not a member of a club, but I've been having
fun doing those lately.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks. I will take a look.

You can see some of our past competitions in the gallery at
http://www.berkshirewoodturners.org.uk/

.. .