Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Competion themes

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:57:42 +0100, "BillR" wrote:

Hey Bill... I forgot a biggie!

One of the most successful challenges in terms of number of folks responding was
a tool handle...
Entries ranged from a branch with a nail pounded in it to a segmented 18" handle
with shop made brass ferrule... the whole range was covered and there were
"prizes" for best, practical, ugly, etc...
What was fun is that the president picked 3 spouses from the back of the meeting
and had them judge them..

Thanks Leo. Quite a comprehensive list.
I notice that most, if not all, are relatively uncomplicated items. This
makes me wonder whether some of themes we have had are too complicated and
have resulted in a poor number of entries. We have been working on the
principle that the themes should be challenging and move the members into
areas new.
For example one of last years themes was a 'mother and child' lace bobbin
not to exceed 6mm (1/4") diam. It took me a week trying to figure out how to
get the slots in it to be neat and even. I know some of the other members
gave up at the thinking stage.
It presents a dilema as to make it easy and get more entries or to be more
difficult and get a few entries.
wrote in message
ups.com...
Bill you can also use the seasons and special holidays for themes, like
say fruit forms this time of year, hollow or just the forms or boxes,
also thank-givings time, platters and or plates, cups and saucers, or
goblets, long or short with or without rings, christmas time, ornaments
like angels or snowmen, trees or the balls with icicles, pierced or not
and also small bird houses or in the spring at easter time it's good
for eggs, hollow or colored or pierced, then there are the bowls or
hollow forms, mushrooms, toys like tops or whistles or paddle boats,
spoons spurtles dough rollers etc. etc etc.
A demonstration the month before to give everyone an idea of how or
what to do for the next month's challenge.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

BillR wrote:
Our woodturning club is putting together it's theme for each of next

years
monthly competitions. We are having trouble thinking of new of new

ideas.

Some of our past themes have been:
Babies rattle
Lace bobbin