Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default what do you think about the P&N tools from the south pacific??

Hello,

I am planning on buying my first tools soon (3/8 spindle gouge, 3/4
skew chisel, 3/4 square end scraper and a parting tool)).

What do you think of the P&N tools in the Lee Valley catalogue? and how
would I fasten item U on pg 49 of the 2005/2006 fine woodworking tools
(item number 37B01.51)? ie the steel that goes in to the handle does
NOT narrow as in item N of same page.

Thank you

Marvin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

espressoMarv wrote:
Hello,

I am planning on buying my first tools soon (3/8 spindle gouge, 3/4
skew chisel, 3/4 square end scraper and a parting tool)).

What do you think of the P&N tools in the Lee Valley catalogue?

They look pretty good to me.

and how
would I fasten item U on pg 49 of the 2005/2006 fine woodworking tools
(item number 37B01.51)? ie the steel that goes in to the handle does
NOT narrow as in item N of same page.

Drill a series of holes slightly smaller than the thickness of the shank
in a row in the end of the handle. Rock the drill to remove the webbing
between the holes. This should allow for a friction fit. If the hole
ends up being too wide a little epoxy should take care of the matter.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"espressoMarv" wrote in
ups.com:

Hello,

I am planning on buying my first tools soon (3/8 spindle gouge, 3/4
skew chisel, 3/4 square end scraper and a parting tool)).

What do you think of the P&N tools in the Lee Valley catalogue? and
how would I fasten item U on pg 49 of the 2005/2006 fine woodworking
tools (item number 37B01.51)? ie the steel that goes in to the handle
does NOT narrow as in item N of same page.

Thank you

Marvin

I bought several a year or so ago - bowl gouges. They work very well.
I like them better than the Sorbys I have, for the most part.

Their handles are shop made from scrap, longer than normal. I drilled
the end and press fit them into the holes. Works for me.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I found them hard to keep sharp and not very good. Try packardwoodworks
gouges or artisian series which are henery taylor just not polished. M2 HSS
is only made in 3 locations and heat treated in 2 its all the same steel you
pay for the name. I have used every name out there and use Packard the
most. Stay clear of chinese HSS its not m2 but m1. Packard for my money is
the best.

Jim
"espressoMarv" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I am planning on buying my first tools soon (3/8 spindle gouge, 3/4
skew chisel, 3/4 square end scraper and a parting tool)).

What do you think of the P&N tools in the Lee Valley catalogue? and how
would I fasten item U on pg 49 of the 2005/2006 fine woodworking tools
(item number 37B01.51)? ie the steel that goes in to the handle does
NOT narrow as in item N of same page.

Thank you

Marvin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I tend to think that M2 High Speed Steel is the same regardless of the
company that uses it for making tools. So you want M2 or better. Carbon
steel is a whole different ball game.
That said and a selection of tools is given, the question becomes one of
configuration, ie the curvature of the outside of the tool as compared to
the inside for a gouge. P&N seem to have a good grasp on that situation.
Second, there is the question of sharpening. An M2 HSS tool should sharpen
and hold an edge well. Use a jig if in doubt. I like the one I made and is
explained on my web site but all the commercial jigs work well if you follow
directions.
Good luck and tell us what you think if you do or do not buy P&N.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"James" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"espressoMarv" wrote...
What do you think of the P&N tools in the Lee Valley catalogue? and how
would I fasten item U on pg 49 of the 2005/2006 fine woodworking tools
(item number 37B01.51)? ie the steel that goes in to the handle does
NOT narrow as in item N of same page.

Marvin:

I bought the P&N 1 1/8" skew and ground it into a back-beveled scraper with
a slight radius. Love it. Steel holds an edge yet can be dressed on the
arkansas stones quickly enough - just right.

I see what you mean about the shank on the P&N parting tool. It's 1/8" x
1/2" all the way down. I'd turn the handle to accept a brass ferrule cut
from a piece of brass pipe, then bore a 31/64" or maybe even a 15/32" hole
in the end (check on scrap first) for a snug press fit without splitting the
handle. Fit the ferule, fill the bore with epoxy, then press tool into the
handle. Should stay good and strong.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

thank you for all of the replies.

I have not completely decided what I am going to purchase yet. I am
leaning toward P&N for the spindle gouge and the parting tool and Henry
Taylor for the others. I am tied to Lee Valley for these purchases as I
have a gift certificate.

What other places/ tools do others buy?

Marvin

espressoMarv wrote:
Hello,

I am planning on buying my first tools soon (3/8 spindle gouge, 3/4
skew chisel, 3/4 square end scraper and a parting tool)).

What do you think of the P&N tools in the Lee Valley catalogue? and how
would I fasten item U on pg 49 of the 2005/2006 fine woodworking tools
(item number 37B01.51)? ie the steel that goes in to the handle does
NOT narrow as in item N of same page.

Thank you

Marvin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Marvin, I make so many of my tools that it has been a long time since I
bought any. I may get a roughing gouge in the future. Likely I will purchase
from Lee Valley or Busy Bee.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

espressoMarv wrote:
Hello,

I am planning on buying my first tools soon (3/8 spindle gouge, 3/4
skew chisel, 3/4 square end scraper and a parting tool)).

What do you think of the P&N tools in the Lee Valley catalogue? and how
would I fasten item U on pg 49 of the 2005/2006 fine woodworking tools
(item number 37B01.51)? ie the steel that goes in to the handle does
NOT narrow as in item N of same page.

Thank you

Marvin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"espressoMarv" wrote in
ups.com:

thank you for all of the replies.

I have not completely decided what I am going to purchase yet. I am
leaning toward P&N for the spindle gouge and the parting tool and
Henry Taylor for the others. I am tied to Lee Valley for these
purchases as I have a gift certificate.

What other places/ tools do others buy?

Marvin

espressoMarv wrote:

Rob Lee of Lee Valley mentioned that the pricing changes go into effect
Friday for the US, and that there will be increases, primarily due to
changes in the value of the US vs the Canadian dollar. His
recommendation: Buy before Thursday, if you're in the US. If in
Canada, no big deal.

Patriarch