Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Dust extraction

Can anyone recommend a dust extraction unit for a small hobby workshop
mainly used for lathe work. Many thanks in advance

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:51:44 +0100, martin
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a dust extraction unit for a small hobby workshop
mainly used for lathe work. Many thanks in advance

Martin

Sorry I should have said that I live in the UK and my workshop is 14'
by 12'

Thanks Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:51:44 +0100, martin wrote:

Can anyone recommend a dust extraction unit for a small hobby workshop
mainly used for lathe work. Many thanks in advance

Martin

Not sure what's available in the UK, martin, but I find that the thing that I
use the DC for least is the lathe..

Except for sanding, the DC is not effective at all, IMHO... I spent more time
clearing shavings out of the hose than turning wood..

I do a lot of wet sanding with Danish Oil, and that cuts down the duct
dramatically... when I "dry sand" I have the DC or shop Vac held to the lathe
bed with a magnet to catch most of the dust on it's way down off the sandpaper..

A good shop vac with a clean filter will do about as well as a DC there,
IMO...YMMV

If you do any small part sanding, I find that I'll hook up the shop vac to a
sander or down draft box more willingly than I'll drag the DC hose to it... just
personal laziness, I suppose..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Martin I have some ideas for Dust Extraction for the Lathe details in the
Hints and Tips Section of my Web Site

http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

RVS

"martin" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a dust extraction unit for a small hobby workshop
mainly used for lathe work. Many thanks in advance

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I've tried various units and not been happy with them until recently, I
got a Camvac and find that, with one slight reservation, it's great.
Very strong suction; very mobile to use all around the workshop; double
filtration so very little dust gets through it, if any.

The reservation? The primary filter is a cloth bag which sits in the
main body, with an elasticated neck. It needs frequent cleaning and
unless you're careful, taking it out in the shop can spread all the dust
again! Best to take it outside to do, give it a good shake and replace
and good for another bout.

Add a Microclemse filter to remove any airborne dust and even an
asthmatic like me can breathe easy.

Both those units *are* rather pricey, though.

In article ,

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Many thanks for the replies. I think I'll go for the CamVac GV286W
with the 18 node positional hose it seems to be the most suitable unit
for the price. I'll post a review of my experience with it when I have
had it for a while, anyway thanks again

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Good choice.
I've got 386 but that was just what Kendal Tools happened to have in
stock. It's the single motor one and is pretty powerful
The double motor one (two X 1kW motors) one must have one heck of a suck!
The positional hose is good, as well.

Ken