Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Dust extraction

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:51:44 +0100, martin wrote:

Can anyone recommend a dust extraction unit for a small hobby workshop
mainly used for lathe work. Many thanks in advance

Martin

Not sure what's available in the UK, martin, but I find that the thing that I
use the DC for least is the lathe..

Except for sanding, the DC is not effective at all, IMHO... I spent more time
clearing shavings out of the hose than turning wood..

I do a lot of wet sanding with Danish Oil, and that cuts down the duct
dramatically... when I "dry sand" I have the DC or shop Vac held to the lathe
bed with a magnet to catch most of the dust on it's way down off the sandpaper..

A good shop vac with a clean filter will do about as well as a DC there,
IMO...YMMV

If you do any small part sanding, I find that I'll hook up the shop vac to a
sander or down draft box more willingly than I'll drag the DC hose to it... just
personal laziness, I suppose..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis