Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Identifiying lathe I suck at posting

Hello,

First let me thank those who helped me get the pictures on my post. As I
expalined in my previous post. My father in law gave me a lathe that
belonged to his father. I can't find a serial number on it so I am having a
hard time tracking down the origianl specs to see if I can get parts and
accessories for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are some
pictures of my lathe and that of the 1935-36 Craftsman lathe.

Thanks,

Steve

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...964/lathe4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...964/lathe3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...964/lathe2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...964/lathe1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...35-36lathe.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:33:02 GMT, "Steve"
wrote:

[top posted for your convenience]

First of all, I have to say that looks more substantial than I would
have suspected. Consequently, you should be able to have some fun on
that without as much worry over robustness as you might have on a post
War Craftsman offering. Although not easy to determine from the
pictures, I would guess that the fittings might be consistent with
those later lathes.

Traditionally, from that post War period, Craftsman lathes, certainly
from the '60s on, used a 3/4-16 thread on the drive shaft with a #1
Morse taper for both drive shaft and tailstock spindles. Most modern
threaded accessories (chucks, faceplates, etc.) have a 3/4-16 version
available.

Similarly, there are #1 MT accessories in most configurations (most
other lathes use a #2 MT--not an important consideration in
determining the "value" of your lathe), such as spur centers, cup
centers, live centers, collets, etc.

The only serious things to worry about are broken parts, most
particularly the headstock casting, the tailstock casting, the banjo,
and the toolrest. Bearings are probably off-the-shelf from any good
bearing supplier.

The banjo looks suspiciously like the more modern Sears banjo and I
suspect you might be able to modify one to work should you break
yours. I believe the post in the toolrest is 3/4" and like the spindle
parts, should be available from aftermarket vendors (don't take my
word on any of this).

However, if you wreck any of the other castings, I would recommend
trashing it (unless you want to use it as the foundation of your newly
inspired museum) and getting something more modern. I can't imagine
you'd ever be able to get replacement parts, particularly without the
model number. Sears lives and dies by the three digit manufacturer's
code at the beginning of the serial number, and without it they won't
even talk to you. In my opinion, those parts aren't going to be
available in any event.

Have fun. Find some local turners. They'll be able to get you over a
lot of humps.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Even if somebody can pin down exactly what it is, there is no way that
Sears or anybody else will have parts for it.

What do you need in the way of parts?

As far as accessories -- if the spindle is a 1 x 8 or any standard
thread (as far as wood lathes go), then buy whatever you like.

If the tapers are MT#1 or MT#2, again, there is lots of stuff out there.

Measure the tapers and spindle and report back and we'll see if we can
be of more help.

Bill

Steve wrote:
Hello,

First let me thank those who helped me get the pictures on my post. As I
expalined in my previous post. My father in law gave me a lathe that
belonged to his father. I can't find a serial number on it so I am having a
hard time tracking down the origianl specs to see if I can get parts and
accessories for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are some
pictures of my lathe and that of the 1935-36 Craftsman lathe.

Thanks,

Steve

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...964/lathe4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...964/lathe3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...964/lathe2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...964/lathe1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...35-36lathe.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article 22oHg.20596$Te.16046@trnddc07,
"Steve" wrote:

First let me thank those who helped me get the pictures on my post. As I
expalined in my previous post. My father in law gave me a lathe that
belonged to his father. I can't find a serial number on it so I am having a
hard time tracking down the origianl specs to see if I can get parts and
accessories for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are some
pictures of my lathe and that of the 1935-36 Craftsman lathe.

Steve, try posting a few of the pictures on the Old Woodworking Machines
website:
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/ByType-Detail.asp?Type=8
under the Craftsman section. Then go to the forum and ask your questions
letting them know the pics are uploaded to the site.

If these guys don't know what you've got, then I'm not sure anyone will.
BTW, I looked at all the craftsman lathes they've got pics of and none
have a headstock that looks like yours.

Owen

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

You might try this link. www.oldwwmachines.com I had an old Craftsman
lathe, vintage 1949, that was actually a pretty good machine, especially for
what I paid for it. Like yours, it was constructed of cast iron, not lesser
materials, as newer models sometimes are.

Parts will be extremely hard to find, if at all. Accessories, faceplates,
drive centers, etc., are pretty easy. Bearings can usually be found at auto
parts or bearing suppliers. Good luck.

Barry

"Steve" wrote in message
Hello,

First let me thank those who helped me get the pictures on my post. As I
expalined in my previous post. My father in law gave me a lathe that
belonged to his father. I can't find a serial number on it so I am having
hard time tracking down the origianl specs to see if I can get parts and
accessories for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are some
pictures of my lathe and that of the 1935-36 Craftsman lathe.

Thanks,

Steve

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...964/lathe4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...964/lathe3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...964/lathe2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...964/lathe1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...35-36lathe.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Steve" wrote in message
Hello,

First let me thank those who helped me get the pictures on my post. As I
expalined in my previous post. My father in law gave me a lathe that
belonged to his father. I can't find a serial number on it so I am having
hard time tracking down the origianl specs to see if I can get parts and
accessories for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are some
pictures of my lathe and that of the 1935-36 Craftsman lathe.

Thanks,

Steve

====================

Steve,
It appears that you have a Craftsman 9 or12 inch, circa 1933.
See www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page2.html

You should see your model there or on one of those pages. They also have
some manuals for old lathes.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 01:43:30 GMT, "Ken Moon"
wrote:

Steve,
It appears that you have a Craftsman 9 or12 inch, circa 1933.
See www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page2.html

You should see your model there or on one of those pages. They also have
some manuals for old lathes.

Close, but the ones on the page you cited are all metal lathes. The
actual page, including the very same picture Steve posted is at

http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsmanwood/page4.html

Here is the description along with it:

1935 to 1936 Craftsman 9-inch lathe.
Unlike the earlier 9-inch lathe, with its ball-bearing headstock, this
model made do with "Oilite" porous-bronze bushes - but the spindle was
bored hollow, took a number 1 Morse-taper centre and could be fitted
with a faceplate on its left-hand end for large-capacity bowl
turning.. Unfortunately, the ring of 60 indexing holes on the
headstock pulley was missing and the bed had lost its mid way foot.
However (and rather surprisingly) the tailstock could be set over for
taper turning and a limited range of accessories - a compound slide
rest, 3 and 4 jaw chucks and a fixed steady - was available to convert
it into a metal-turning lathe.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

[...]

Sorry about the mix-up. I had looked at all the pictures and then posted the
wrong page of the group. And did you see the prices on those lathes?! Wish
we could buy any tool today for $4.85!

Ken

Rikon Lathe David Pugh Woodturning 2 October 29th 05 06:30 AM
Jet Mini Lathe for Sale [email protected] Woodworking 0 September 28th 05 04:14 AM
House of tools lathe - comments Machineman Metalworking 24 July 11th 04 05:58 AM
My $20 lathe (well, sort of...) Patrick H. Corrigan Woodworking 4 August 29th 03 02:29 AM