Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Set screws

Hi Dick.
Just a small suggestion. I remember having a similar problem. I
loosened up the set screws on a large pulley and no go. So my solution
was to get a large pulley puller. Oh man it was tough going getting it
of the shaft. When I finally got it off the shaft had two furrows in it.
Somebody way back must have had a loosening problem and put in backup
setscrews over the original ones. I had one of those forehead slapping
moments. I now remove the sets all the way and look at whats in the
hole. Take a look.

Peace and good luck.

Phredd
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 21:17:34 +0000, Fred May wrote:

Hi Dick.
Just a small suggestion. I remember having a similar problem. I
loosened up the set screws on a large pulley and no go. So my solution was
to get a large pulley puller. Oh man it was tough going getting it of the
shaft. When I finally got it off the shaft had two furrows in it. Somebody
way back must have had a loosening problem and put in backup setscrews
over the original ones. I had one of those forehead slapping moments. I
now remove the sets all the way and look at whats in the hole. Take a
look.

Peace and good luck.

Phredd

Phredd --
Sorry you got caught by this ... it's a standard way machinists handle
setscrews that are meant to STAY in place. The second one acts to jam the
first one much like adding a second nut to a bolt does.

Bill